Today marks 2 weeks since surgery and I know you're all wondering where are my pictures of the scar, the hip xrays and the screws....they'll be coming. I have my post op appt on Thursday so I'll have xrays then (hopefully) and will post pics of everything together. At 2 weeks I am doing a heck of a lot better than I was at 1 week. I am not nauseated anymore, I've pooped like a champ, and I'm eating at least 2 small meals a day and drinking like a fish. I'm a lot stronger too. Emotionally I've calmed down about being so "helpless". It's not forever, it's just a small step in the healing process and I guess I just had to have a pity party or something. I have figured out how to get into the shower by myself (big accomplishment!) with a little tip from a friend, "D" from Hip Endeavors! Thanks D! :) Also, I appreciate the comments on my prior post about how to carry items to and from the kitchen, or wherever. I have taken to using a plastic shopping bag as my transportation device. Pretty handy! Also, sweatshirts with kangaroo pockets are pretty nice too for the smaller items to be carried (cell phones, water bottles, pill bottles...whatever you want to stuff in them).
Pain continues to be minimal at the incision and front of the hip, but my buttock, deep inside is getting to be quite painful. I assume it's the surgical fracture of the ischium (the butt bone). I will be finding out on Thursday what this literal pain in the butt is. Plus my hamstring on my left leg is so tight! Not much helps it in terms of stretching it out, but I'm doing my best keeping up with my 500 exercises...I can now get my ankle to my knee, but not on top of the knee. Soon, I'm sure.
Now, onto the body image portion...
I don't usually have issues with the way my body looks, I'm pretty secure in it. But holy cow, where did my body go!!!??? The left leg atrophy is totally disgusting and the fat I do have on my leg is lumpy and unfortunate. My knee looks deranged since it's still a bit swollen and it's also protruding more and still is twisted inward. My waist on the left is non existant. I used to have beautiful curves. Not anymore...My waist looks higher on the left than the right and I'm sure it's because of the non weight bearing status but it sure looks wonky! I look.....awful. I know, I know, this will go away too, when things start healing and the swelling goes away and I can start using my leg again to strengthen the muscles. It's just kind of shocking because I didn't look this bad after my right hip surgery last year. I had swelling and atrophy, but I still kept my shape. Of course, the doctor didn't rearrange my pelvis on the right side either....
But, onto things I can do at 2 weeks:
I can get in and out of bed and CPM by myself.
I can now (just today) get in and out of shower by myself and take care of myself after.
I can dress myself.
I can get in and out of just about any kind of chair.
I can lie on my stomach (with help) and stay there for about an hour, but need help getting back up.
I can crutch from front of house and back before I tire out.
I can transport small items in a plastic bag with me where I need to go.
I can bend down from standing position with bad leg behind me to get things off the floor.
This is definately more challenging than the SDD recovery. I think the scar placement is the only advantage I have over the SDD. It doesn't hurt or pull at all whereas the SDD scar definately did. I do not feel like going outside at all and don't really want to go out on Thursday either, but have to for my post op appt. This time last year I was going stir crazy and had gotten out of the house a couple times already. I am too tired for one thing, and I do not feel stable enough to go out where it's slippery even though I bought shoe picks for traction outside. I am so scared of slipping and falling. I am a bit clumsy inside and have stumbled a few times already with no obstacles....can't imagine what snow and ice will do for that!
But the good news is, this surgery and recovery so far has not been as bad as what I made it out to be in my mind. Even from day one the pain has been so well managed that I would say it's worth it to anyone who has to go through this and is scared of pain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
All of this is normal and will get better with time! Yes, I swear. Your body will come back, your butt pain will resolve, you will be less tired, etc.
It's OK to stay in and rest, that's what your body needs. Take advantage of it! Terri
I say stay in too! Falling would really be bad! I still look at your picture in your swimsuit all the time and marvel! You will not have to worry about that! You should have seen my husband's swelling after his kidney transplant! Crazy scarey looking! I thought he would never be "right" again! Remember they broke your poor little hip joint out of your body and twisted it, then nailed it in! God you are amazing! Love, Lisa (hipchicks)
I had the butt pain pretty bad too; but it's minimal now. Just this morning, I was complaining that my left hamstring was tight and my husband was shocked at how tight it was when he touched it! The only thing I can say about the body image is that mine sucks these days too.... I can't wait to be able to work out! LOL
Post a Comment