Tuesday, January 11, 2011

6 weeks post op LPAO and....

I am feeling awesome!! There was a breakthrough or something in the last several days. My left hip feels so good now that I'm convinced I should walk on it...but I know I shouldn't and I don't push the envelope...too much. I have put more weight on it as I've crutched or when I'm standing sans crutches. It's fine, it doesn't hurt it at all. I am sleeping on all sides now, no problem, including my left side! Once in awhile I do have to turn back onto my stomach or back or right side because the screw heads cause some discomfort. My psoas and IT band issues are much less than they were since the fall. Purely good luck or just doing the right amount of exercises and stretches without aggravating them too much, I'll never know. I am not going to say they don't completely bother me, because when I do the knee to chest exercises, I try to do it without my hands (at least 10-15 of them) and my psoas really gets a sharp pain when I go too high without hands. Other than that, it's not too bad! I also don't get the intense aching anymore at night, knock on wood...
I'm crutching around like it's nobody's business but to stand still is really painful on my right hip still. And speaking of my right hip, it's not doing as good as it could. It's starting to pop a lot like the left hip used to and also it's starting to catch in the groin where it did prior to and immediately after surgery last year. Not sure what to make of that. It's also achier than my left hip, but I'm sure that's from doing all the weight bearing and work the last 6 weeks.

I've gotten up to 20 minutes on the stationary bike and do back and forward pedaling for joint motion, with no resistance still. I could probably do a half hour now, and maybe that will be my goal today. I've been going stir crazy in the last 2 weeks. I don't feel like I have to get out of the house so much (like last year) but I do feel like just sitting in the recliner and reading is going to drive me to the drink if I do it much longer. I am able to stand in the shower more now too, and not rely on the shower bench completely, so my stamina is getting better and better. Just when I need to wash my right leg and foot I sit on the bench. I can't wait to get rid of the bench and shower head and go back to our regular shower head...this one has such little water pressure.

I have an internal suture that is sticking out of the top of my incision now and once that goes away, my incision will look really good. There are some areas that still need to be massaged to break up the sutures and scar tissue as you can see where my skin is being pulled by the sutures from the inside. Also right at the top of the incision is a small bump that is visible to the eye and easy to feel now that the swelling has gone down and I think it's probably the screw heads. And I can safely say I have my body back now...I don't look so wonky...other than the puny left leg! My knee still looks swollen though.  I don't think the PAO helped the femoral twist at all. The knees still face each other. Oh well. Only time will tell if it helps the pain in the rest of the leg...

I am really looking forward to my next follow up on the 20th of Jan!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Way to go Marcie! And pass some of that good stuff this way. We can all celebrate together. You give much hope that I can do this. I know that once you are on the other side all the worries and fears will be gone. I can't wait to hear what you find out next week too!