Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Injection relief

Why did I wait so long to get this hip injected again?! The cortisone has been a saving grace for me everytime! I forget how helpful it is, just sad it doesn't last forever.
I was seen yesterday for my right hip, complaints of continuing pain and restricted joint motion. Dr. Z first had me get xrays. They came back unchanged from September which is a huge relief! So we know it's not advancing arthritis. But when he did his physical exam on my hip, it wouldn't flex any further than 85-90 degrees. It was very painful at about 80 degrees and I was very unhappy letting my hip be pushed any further. I told him it felt like I didn't want him to go any further with it. He said there was actually something physically blocking movement. A bit perplexing, to be sure. I'm sure he hates this hip since it's had everything done to it already and still presents abnormal.
Anyway, he thinks I need to have the screws removed soon (March 30th), and then I need an MRI. I had to remind him I can't get MRI's anymore (I have an internal cochlear implant that the FDA will not ok MRI's) and then he was even more perplexed. So, my assignment is to try to get permission from my ear surgeon to ok the MRI, but if absolutely not, then Dr. Z said he'll just have to go with a CT scan. At that point we did the hip injection. The numbing spray is amazing! I like it so much more than the lido injection. While ultrasounding my hip he thought he could see a bunch of adhesions, so that could explain the joint restriction and pain. When he tested my hip after the injection, there was almost no pain, but still had hip flexion of about 85-90 degrees. While I don't know what the next step will be after the screw removal and imaging, my best two guesses are 1) scope to clean up scar tissue or other underlying causes of pain/restriction, or 2) do nothing and live with it as is. I have my follow up after screw removal in June, so I suppose I'll know more then.

The other issue discussed was my left knee/leg. I was finally diagnosed with miserable malalignment officially and left side is much worse than right. I really only have two options to consider for my left leg. 1) Do nothing and just put up with it. Continue to ice, take Mobic, and do activities to tolerance. 2) The only correctable option is a combination femoral and tibial osteotomy. He is very reluctant to go this route because it's a nasty surgery, I'd be off work for up to a year (not so long with my new office job now though), and according to Dr. Z the PAO would seem like cake compared to this. He said he wants me to wait as long as I possibly can before considering this route. One big thing to consider is that my knee is not in danger of being harmed with the miserable malalignment. I'm "functional" so why mess with that? It's really going to be up to me in the end (and we're talking back burner, a long time from now before this decision will be made. My criteria will be limitations from pain, if knee goes from subluxing to dislocating, and intolerance to Mobic long term). Basically, I'm focusing on right hip for now, since it is sooo close to being finished!

So roll on March 30th where I will really and truly be "just a few screws loose" one last time!

1 comment:

JMURPH said...

I feel so out of the loop!

Glad the injection worked but sorry you are still having so much pain and restricted motion!

I hope you find some relief with the screw removal!

Part of my knee surgery (which as you know was a more complicated than my left leg bc of miserable malalignment) was a tibial osteotomy. WOW! I was truly not expecting the pain and swelling post-op. The swelling has not gone down and I am 7 weeks post-op. Pain finally subsided at around 5 weeks but I get horrible lightning bolt pain at random times right where the bone was realigned. Anyway...just saying, it's a rough one! Not to mention if you ended up having it you'd have the femoral osteotomy as well!

Call me soon! I miss you.

Hope you find more relief soon!