Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Another year down, NSAIDs gone

Next Thursday will be my one year RPAO anniversary. That also means my LPAO will be 1.5 years old. It seems to have gone by in a blink of an eye, literally! I think my new job has a lot to do with it. It keeps me crazy busy, which is good for me.

Over the last few months I was experiencing reflux and burning in my belly and also a continuous cycle of anywhere from 5-7 mouth ulcers (not cold sores) at a time and it was miserable to eat or drink. My pcp tested some blood, which was negative, so the next step was to stop one drug at a time that I was taking. Mobic (my anti inflammatory) was the first and most logical choice. I was supposed to give it 2 weeks and if no relief, start it back up and stop the next drug. Well, the ulcers cleared up so it seems I'm getting sensitive to NSAIDs. No more Mobic, no more NSAIDs, at least for long term use. I've been off it now for three weeks and I feel a lot achier without it in my system. I told my friend at work today that I felt a major increase in pain and she pointed out the fact that I'm without the Mobic now. I hadn't connected the two until she said that. It surprised me how much it actually helped!

So at 1.5 years post LPAO, my left hip feels really well. It has begun to get painful clicking/snapping a little more occassionally now and the "bulging" feeling is still there but I don't have any residual aching after activity. I can be "rough" on this hip and it doesn't really bother me too much.
At 1 year post RPAO my right hip is still not good. It hurts no matter what I do and has begun to disrupt sleep more too. Driving has become really uncomfortable. The pain is distracting.
I do alright if I can move around and reposition myself. Walking short distances for the most part is ok, but I have to keep my stride short. Stretching out to a long stride hurts both hips actually. My SI joint pain on the right has flared up really bad again too. Of course, this could be due to no more Mobic.

I'm curiously awaiting my one year post op and screw removal post op combo appt on June 14 to find out if things are still status quo with the hip or if the xrays will show further breakdown. I also want to get a handle on surgery; the when, what, where, etc.

I haven't been able to run/jog again since stopping the Mobic. Everything hurts too much, and I really have no desire to pound my hips/knees and pay for it after. I will keep walking with incline to stay healthy. I'm having a difficult time controlling pain right now so it's hard to do even that.

The worst thing with the right hip right now is the spasms it will get. It starts on the side and rolls in waves to my groin and then right on down to my toes. Not typical spasms, but painful none-the-less. I'd rate it comparable to migraine pain.

I guess I really can't believe what a difference there has been in the recoveries of both my hips. A part of me still kicks myself for having done the very first hip scope 3 years ago, before I researched the crap out of hip dysplasia. Hindsight really is 20/20.

You win some, you lose some, right? Hopefully I'm still on the winning end of the spectrum for a few more years with my right side. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet.

No comments: