Saturday, June 1, 2013

2 years post RPAO

Yesterday, May 31, was my 2 year mark for my RPAO (and 2.5 years for my LPAO). I had high hopes that at this point in my sustained recovery I would be updating with things like I'm running and hiking and doing crazy awesome things that crazy awesome 32 year olds do, but I'm not there yet. I don't know when I will be either. 
I'm scheduled for a right hip injection on Monday. This will be 7 months post hip scope. My left hip has been acting up a lot lately and I don't know yet why or what it even means. I can't even mow the yard or be intimate with my husband without either hip freaking out. My left knee is still hurting me and has never gotten any better after any of my hip surgeries.
Next week, Friday June 7th, I am having my right tibia, ankle, and foot worked on.
I have ligament instability (my surgeon's words "your ankle is basically unattached") and will have a modified Brostrom ligament reconstruction, tibial derotation (at supramalleolar level), a dorsal plate reconstruction with tendon transfer, and a gastrocnemius lengthening.
It seems as if all this stuff I keep having done is really holding me back from really truly recovering but my body mechanics just plain suck. I can't seem to do anything anyway so I am pursuing corrective treatment.

As of now my endurance level for any activity is pretty limited. Just walking and standing in the grocery store is painful. That's not normal. I still have pain and stiffness in my right hip with flexion beyond 80 degrees and I can't rotate it out in a figure 4 without immediate pain. I feel things like bubble wrap popping in my hip. That feeling elicits a lot of pain. It goes tingly and numb when I lay on it. Then the fact that it just aches, a lot. A really bone deep ache. I'm not sure what is going on with my left hip. It started acting up a couple weeks ago. Any activity caused it to get achy, a pain where I didn't want to bear weight on it, and clicking. Now it's back to baseline where I just have the painful snaps throughout the day. It is simultaneous with my knee. All I can do is keep an eye on it. I don't have any "drop me to the floor" giving out pain anymore but I've had similar shadows of that pain hit me recently. 
The good news is, I don't limp like I used to (unless I'm getting up after sitting for awhile). And with my left hip, the amount of time I'm in pain is short compared to the right side. I'm still planning on the day when I can participate in an organized run or adventure race. Maybe a bike race could be in my future. 
I've honestly had a few days where I've cursed ever having surgery in the first place because it seems to have caused a chain reaction to more than I ever wanted, but overall, I think I'm better than I was.

2 comments:

Katie said...

After reading this, all I can say is I need to copy and paste so to spek. I have been having issues and troubles with my left hip also. I keep blaming it on pregnancy hormones. But oh my about two weeks ago it felt like I needed to "pop" it back into place but couldn't. Then it finally popped/snapped several times and each time causing more pain. And a limp. I thought resting would help. Nope. Next day I just wanted to cry. And like you said it hasn't given out but I have had the sensation of it wants to except only difference is I feel it in the front. I also limp after sitting for a period of time especially in the evening it is pronounced. And the popping, snapping, sliding around of muscles/tendons is increasing with my left hip. Some nights I just cry about it but try not to get too upset as then I fight throwing up( thanks to pregnancy sickness).
When I clicked on your blog it wasn't there. I was like oh no. I miss you Marcie and reading your updates. Both you and Jill are wonderful. I am so thankful I found your blog. Different web address that I will change.

HipRN said...

Thanks Katie! I miss you too. I hope that your symptoms don't get much worse, esp w/the new baby coming :)
I changed my URL for privacy reasons but forgot to "announce" it to those following my blog, whoops! Actually, I'm not sure how to let those know who follow it know that the URL changed! Please keep in touch and know that I think of you often and also follow your blog still. :)