So I'm a little discouraged today. I went to my follow up appt yesterday with my husband to see what Dr. Z had to say about my images and basically we felt as if we came away with nothing. Part of it is my fault b/c I did not ask any questions...but that's also b/c I got some information I was not expecting to hear about my right hip and my mind just went blank for the rest of the appt.
Turns out that from my first hip scope back in May, the surgeon gouged my femoral head and now there is cartilage missing (and possibly some bone?) and the cartilage is shredded. Apparently this was caused by the scope or one of the other instruments inside the hip joint. So now Dr. Z can't fix it by scope only, he HAS to open the hip and dislocate it to clean up the damaged tissue and possibly do a microfracture to the joint to help stimulate regrowth of the cartilage. Not exactly what I thought I'd hear when I went down there. So now I'm putting off the LPAO until next year and we're going to fix the right hip this year. He more or less put the ball in my court and asked which one hurts me more and that's the hip we'll do, but I don't feel like I got a definitive answer from him as to what he thought was appropriate.
He didn't go over the left hip imaging results and really didn't tell me what they found in the right hip other than the gouge. So we drove 3.5 hours for a 15 minute appt that told us pretty much nothing. Now, granted, I play a 50/50 role in that too, I will admit. I didn't ask questions and his time is valuable, so obviously he's not going to shoot the shit with me when he's got other patients to see still, but really...
He said he wanted to meet with us again in December when it gets closer to the surgery to go over the nitty gritty details, so okay...but I need to know those details now! I'm not a very patient person. Plus I like to be prepared way ahead of time so I'd like to know what's going on 4 months before my surgery...(I say that b/c it's 4 months away from my surgical date). I did call his nurse and asked her to have him call me when he could to go over some questions that I do now have...so I'm hopeful that by the end of this week I will know more. If anyone reading this has any insight on FAI surgery, open dislocation, or microfracture and wants to share their knowledge, please be my guest! I welcome any comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Marcie,
Sorry to hear that your appointment didn't go as well as you hoped. When I was first told about my hip dysplasia and surgery by my first surgeon I was in shock and ended up having to call him back a day or so later because all the questions I had fell by the wayside during the appointment. I am sure you will be able to figure out the details sooner rather than later. It does help to be able to prep. I hope that things get better for you! I will be praying!
Ashley
Post a Comment