If I could chop my right leg off right now, I would gladly do it. My screws have become a miserable malady and have become increasingly more painful over the last few weeks. It has gotten to the point where either I wake up at night and can't get back to sleep for a couple hours or the pain is bad enough to make me take a vicodin during the day (while not at work). I was going to let this new development be, since I knew surgery was on the horizon and I didn't want to bother Dr. Z about this, as we both knew they were a nuisance. Well, they are beyond the nuisance stage and I succumbed to relaying my misery to his nurse, which then she relayed to him. The next day I received a phone call from Z himself, wondering if we shouldn't take the screws out now, and then do the LPAO in November as planned. While this sounds like a great idea, we both agreed that doing 2 surgeries close together (having to go under anesthesia twice so close together) would not be the best of ideas. So, the screw removal is still in conjunction with the PAO. I just wish the next 7 weeks would fast forward themselves. My quality of sleep has gone from a 6/10 to about 4.5/10.
For those who are wondering what the screw pain is like, it's like this:
The area of the greater trochanter is extremely sore all the time and when it is touched or bumped it is extremely painful, enough to make me see stars. The muscles feel like they are stretched way to tight over my outer thigh. Sometimes I feel a popping over the trochanter and I wouldn't say the popping really hurts but it's very uncomfortable/gross.
The pain will start to throb at the trochanter and pulse it's way down the outer portion of my thigh, into my entire knee joint and down my outer calf and into my entire ankle joint. It is a dull but very intense ache that just doesn't go away. It happens when I accidentally lay on my right side (sleeping) or from standing for long periods (kind of hard to avoid at work).
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the screw removal will be the answer to all this pain that has gradually but suddenly come on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
twinsy!!
I am sorry you are hurting this bad! I think I say to D once I day..I really want to saw my right leg off and I will feel better! Dr M said that people who did get the screws removed do seem to feel better...I am still debating on it since I don't think my pain is as bad as your..my psoas tendon on the other hand I may rip out on my own!! Thinking of you..hope the next 7 weeks fly by fast!!! xoxox
Yikes, that sounds painful! I had mine removed by Z about 9 or 10 months post PAO. Mine hurt so bad when the waistbands of pants rubbed against them, but I don't recall having other issues like you describe. Good luck with your PAO!
Hun I am so sorry the pain is soo bad! I had horrible pain with my screws (and bone)too, but nothing like you are saying. I'm praying for you that you get some relief and surgery will be here soon... love you. xoxo
Post a Comment