The following is from one year ago:
So, to document what my right hip is feeling like just before surgery (so I have it to compare to for after):
-Creepy clicking/shifting in joint from front to back of hip with walking.
-sharp, pulsing pain in groin/anterior portion of hip that comes and goes in waves.
-dull persistent ache in hip from groin to lateral hip at night while trying to sleep.
-sharp, catching pain with internal rotation whether intentional or not. Stops me in my tracks.
-S.I. Joint pain that is very tight and sharp feeling.
-pain that shoots down my leg from pelvis to knee anteriorly.
-unable to bend leg past 90 degrees without forcing it by hand, if past 90 degrees, very deep pain in hip (this includes when bent down to pick something up).
-cannot put all my weight on my right hip or deep inside the joint it feels like it is going to break or collapse in on itself from pain.
The above list was from a year ago when I was making points to remember what my right hip felt like before the SDD surgery so I could remember and then reflect how I feel a year later. I have to report that only 2 or 3 of the symptoms on the list still exist and not as bad as they used to be! I still get a catching feeling and the SI joint still acts up and I still occasionaly get the dull, aching pain inside the joint. Otherwise, just screw and muscular pain is all I have left and that makes me a very happy person. No more clicking, no more feeling like the joint will collapse in on itself when I stand on it alone, I can bend it past 90 degrees now without forcing it and without pain. Overall, it is a better hip. I suppose I should make a list for lefty. It never did have as many symptoms as the right hip which is why we went ahead with the right hip first. So here we go....
Left hip symptoms pre-surgery:
- lateral thigh pain/aches (probably bursitis related)
- popping of the joint (50/50 being painful vs non painful)
- sharp giving out pains, joint won't support me when it does this. Happens a couple times a month.
- joint feels achey deep inside across from groin to thigh whenever I stand for long periods of time or walk for more than a mile.
- feels "out of place" or loose most of the time, not neccesarily painful, just uncomfortable/weird.
- has been experiencing some clicking and grinding in the last few months.
- sex is awkward and uncomfortable most times b/c I am trying to find a good position where my hip doesn't feel like it's going to "pop out".
That's about it in a nutshell. So most of the symptoms are just annoying vs painful. Even though my left hip is structurally worse and much more unstable than my right, the right hip was so much more painful. I guess I will reflect on this list in a year....or maybe I will be too busy finally having a life that it will become but a memory!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Boy, that last symptom can be a real problem! And not many people discuss it, for obvious reasons. But it is surely important to a marriage... especially if you're suffering for a long time!
I always referred to it as "Barbie Leg"... you know how a Barbie doll's legs can move front to back, but if you try to move it to the side, the leg pops OFF? Yup... That's how it feels!
Post a Comment