I had a great time at Disney World and was able to use my "golden ticket" for all the attractions the parks had to offer. It was wonderful because the cast members just let you right through to the front of all the lines so there was virtually no waiting in line anywhere! Thank you Dr. Z!! I saw several people in wheelchairs or on crutches who were also using the "golden ticket" (it's actually called a guest assistance card) and I didn't feel quite so bad using mine. Up to 5 people in your party can go with you too, so it was perfect. The guys didn't feel like I was quick enough on my crutches, so we had a wheelchair for me the whole time, and actually, I'm glad we did because I did crutch from our hotel room to the main lodge and it was quite a trek and I was wiped. So I can't imagine crutching all over Disney's four parks! I had a blast and that is what matters.
I didn't keep up too well on my PT while I was gone though, but when I got home I found that I am still right at where I was before, if not a little better. I'm not using the crutches at all inside and I don't limp unless I've been sitting for a long time or I'm tired. Even then I just walk slowly til I get my muscles worked out. The only exercise I'm really having difficulty with and unable to finish my reps is the straight leg lift. I can only get about 8-9 of them done before my leg loses form. I'm supposed to do 2 sets of 10 exercises each.
I have no difficulty with stepping up on a step with the left leg leading anymore like I did before and I'm able to walk up and down the basement stairs now. I've gotten rid of the shower bench a few weeks ago and haven't needed the chair to dress on for a couple weeks either. I can't believe I forgot to mention that earlier!
I still have a bit of difficulty with flexion of the left hip. I used to be able to flex it more than 120 degrees, now I think I'm lucky if I'm hitting 90-100 degrees. Hopefully this is just because the muscles are tight and I'll be able to loosen it up as I do my exercises more. I find that I'm again stronger on my left side than on my right as I find I'm standing more to my left than my right when I am standing up. This has been the case pretty much all my life as I've been aware of it. I'm even able to stand alone on the left leg and can do so for about 30 seconds before I feel the muscles start to tire out. This is pretty good compared to how the right side healed! I think I will use one crutch to go outside tomorrow for my PT appt and have Liz determine if I need to use it anymore after that. I feel I can go without it anywhere now. I just know that Z likes to make sure his patients are steady outside where it's slippery out since the muscles aren't completely 100% yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment