3 months ago my LPAO took place and I can't believe how fast the time has gone since then. It truly seemed like when I was on two crutches, there was no way I'd regain strength fast enough to walk without them properly before being released back to work. But either my body is extremely resilient or Dr. Z is a genius and knows what he's doing....I think I'll attribute it to both! Next Thursday is my 3 month follow up with Z and I left a message with his assistant to request a steroid injection into my right hip as well. I *think* that I will be cleared for work shortly after next week. I'm mentally so ready! Physically I could probably use a little more time, however, my strength has improved so quickly while in PT and yesterday Liz and I agreed that after next week I probably don't need to come back to PT sessions with her. She said she has gotten me up to par and we've reached our goals and it's all up to me to keep working on them and getting myself stronger on my own. If I have questions or I have issues/problems, I can always come see her and we will work it out. I am ecstatic that I've progressed this quickly! It's still a bit of a mystery why it's so much easier than the right hip though.
First off, I just want to say I hate my screws....hate, hate, hate them. They are progressively getting more and more painful and I want them out!!! Okay, on to what really matters....
Last Saturday one of my PT goals was to see how long I could stand and how far I could walk before pain or limping set in. Liz needed to know this to guage where I'm at before declaring me fit for work on her behalf. So the idea was to go to the mall and walk the halls and as a treat, maybe buy something for myself. I did very well for not having done anything but pretty much sit on my butt the last 3 months. I think I stood a total of 5-6 hours and I was able to walk the entire mall, while stopping in stores periodically, in 2 hours and only toward the last half hour to fifteen minutes did I start to limp. The left hip didn't get painful, just sore/muscle tiredness. The right hip was like walking on a big bruise only ten minutes into my walking.
My crouching goal is also slowly being met. Some of the exercises Liz has me doing is really helping with that. I can almost go from full crouch to standing without my hands and I usually don't almost fall over! I think a few more days of working on that should do it and of course, keeping up with it. Once I'm back to work though, I'll be doing it all the time.
I've also noticed that being out in the cold makes my hips super stiff and I cannot help but limp. I can't wait for warmer weather! I hope this will not be a permanant thing from now on. (I can see why the elderly flock south for the winter if that's the case). I also aggravated the psoas (groin) on my left hip again...darn thing is so sensitive!! And it seems my hamstring is flaring up again. I think it's the new PT exercises I've been given, so I'll have to go slow on those. I also noticed that the pulsing, sharp groin pains I had last year in my right hip prior to my SDD are coming back. They are a bit more intense at times now. I sure hope that Z will do the injection to get me through a few months at work.
At this point in time I am aid free for walking, showering, and dressing. I'm able to do all housework without too much trouble. I still depend on ibuprofen 800 mg at least twice a day, occasionally tylenol ES (for the right hip). I haven't attempted walking the dogs yet as it is icy out and I was advised to wait to do it until after the spring thaw to avoid slipping on ice or slush/mud. I haven't really walked outside in the snow or ice much yet as it is except to get to the car and that's a very short distance.
I am up to 2 pound weights on both legs for my exercises and 30 reps each, and the goal is to reach 5 pounds each leg. I still have a twist from my torso down when I stand and when I do certain exercises it drives Liz crazy (and me) because my body naturally wants to compensate and twist like it always has, but I need to work on my core so that I don't twist anymore, but keep the trunk straight on. A lot of that has to do with my anteversion of my femurs and pelvis, plus I was told I have slight scoliosis in my lower spine several years ago. Quite honestly, as long as I remain pain free and able to do things without the hip giving out and the leg fatiguing, I'm okay if I remain twisted...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment