The first couple days home from the hospital for me are usually not the greatest. I don't know if it's the transition from hospital to home with the long drive in between or what but normally I am sacked for at least 4-5 days and look as if death is coming for me. Not this time! I'm still trying to determine why? I have seriously forgotten to take my meds because I feel so good. Granted, I'm very exhausted but in a good way. I just fall asleep when I want to and wake feeling refreshed. No troubles with my stomach this time either except for a little bit of nausea last night but it was taken care of with oral zofran. Today T needs to go to the store to pick up colace and other over the counter needs for me. I am on miralax since getting home to hopefully stimulate a BM since I haven't had one since Friday and have eaten enough since then. I don't want to become constipated. That would take the wind out of my sails! I'm thanking my lucky stars things are going as well as they are and can hardly believe my fortune. I might actually get to enjoy the summer after all! Things to note since being home:
- I don't have a numb patch on either leg!!!!! (this was a concern of mine especially for the right leg) I have full feeling on the right and only a slight decreased sensation on the left.
- I am able to do full range of motion (ROM) with the right leg, including the figure 4. (This was not obtained for the left leg until about 3 weeks post op, and for the right SDD at about 2ish weeks post op) I called Amy, Dr. Z's PT to confirm that this is ok. She called back and stated it was just fine and to keep working it! No worries!
- I am going more than 12 hours between pain meds before I realize I haven't taken one. This started yesterday, at 5 days out from surgery and the only reason I take one (and only half of it) is because of my husband and family asking me to. I think I may switch to Tylenol ES.
- I am sleeping soundly through the night, waking up only about 4:30-5 am just out of habit I think, from being woken up in the hospital for vitals, and then fall right back to sleep.
- only negative is that my right SI joint seems to be more irritated since the surgery. It is popping and hurting a lot more. I think this actually hurts more than the hip itself.
- I haven't had the burning, searing incisional pain for over 24 hours now....knock on wood!
- I am eating and drinking as well as I normally do when I haven't had surgery and this will help aid in recovery! The last 3 surgeries on my hips resulted in little drinking and no eating, thus making me feel weak and horrible the first week or two.
- I have been plagued by muscle jerking when I'm trying to fall asleep since the night of surgery. It is unpleasant and annoying and seems to be getting a little better now, but I didn't have this with my other surgeries. Dr. Z said it is completely normal and doesn't always happen with every surgery.
- I have some skin tears from the dressing tape that I'm treating with triple antibiotic ointment. I had skin tears from the last couple surgeries too, and they hurt!
At least there is no ice outside for me to slip on. I can crutch around with confidence and stability, unlike the last two recoveries. And I have two good, stable hips! And for those who are considering having their PAO's close together and not sure if it will be ok, I will update how the left hip is handling the weight of the right hip as I go along in my recovery. I did my PAO's exactly 6 months apart. I know there are lots of girls who have done them at 6 months apart and even a few who have done them at 4 months apart and have all done well. So far the left hip feels great! Here are the screws from the left hip PAO:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Wow! I am so glad your recovery is going well.
You Go Girl!
Lisa : )
Isn't it amazing to see those screws right in front of you and realize they are (were) what was in your HIP??? WOW...
Post a Comment