Sunday, June 5, 2011

Post op day 2

Post op day 2 (June 2nd):

Thursday things were a bit more challenging. I was moving much more surely in the bed by myself than the two prior surgeries, but I had this weird, awful new pain I'd not experienced yet. Anytime I torqued my pelvis the wrong way with movement, my incision felt like it had lava pouring into it. It was an awful, searing, ripping pain. It was enough to make me say a really bad word in front of my mom, enough said. I was ashamed immediately, but she was an angel and just looked the other way. Bless you Mom! This pain would continue to plague me the rest of the hospital stay to currently. No one really knows what this pain is. I am still in the ace wrap that covers the waist, hips, and right leg, so we can't look at the incision yet. But the resident is due to come in to take out the drains and remove the dressings later today. My "dictator" had me again today and harassed me about eating. I told her I am not hungry and not at all interested in food. She seemed put off but encouraged me to drink more. I told her I was trying the best I could. I also explained that my stomach and gut were really hurting and maybe we could try something else for nausea? She said she'd see what she could do. I was later told there wasn't anything else to give (which is bull, but hey, I'm just the patient). So, I put up with feeling nauseated and dizzy and my gut cramping and rumbling.
My family was in early in the morning and we visited for a while before I saw the resident. The family stepped out to have breakfast while he did the dressing change and drain removal. I swear the drain was already out before he pulled it. I had absolutely no feeling of it coming out when he pulled on it. Then he uncovered the rest of the ace wrap and bandages and I got my first look at the incisions. The left hip incision looked good, about an inch and a half long. It was covered by steri strips. The right hip PAO incision looked very good as well, clean, covered by steri strips. I also had 2 small keyhole incisions from the scope, covered by steri strips. The drain hole was surrounded by a bruise and I also had a bruise around my pubic area from the post during the scope. But all in all, it looked great. I asked the resident if I could shower today once I had gotten up with PT and was ok to transfer. He thought it would be fine.
Shortly after he left, Amy came in to work with me. She asked how I was feeling. I told her I still was dizzy and lightheaded and nauseated somewhat. She asked if I was drinking and eating. I told her that I just couldn't eat, but was trying to drink. She had a student with her who wanted to make me her case study and asked if it was okay. I told her that was great! Amy was happy the drain was out, but wanted the foley cath taken out too. She went to get my "dictator" and asked her to remove the foley. "Dictator" stated, "I'm not removing it til she can prove she can get up steadily to the bathroom without passing out". Amy was a bit put out but didn't argue. We proceded with me getting out of bed anyway. She told me to take my time sitting up and to stay on the edge of the bed til the dizziness passed. This time was not as hard getting up as the last time for the LPAO. When I was finally ready to stand, Amy was there, but not helping. I had to do this on my own. She was telling the student that I was a "pro" and that I could probably teach her a thing or two now. Amy is great for a confidence boost. I stood, was very wobbly and nearly sat back down, but Amy steadied me by my elbow and I was ok. She grabbed my foley bag and the student had my IV pole and off we trudged into the hallway. Amy had me go the short route, down to the window and back to my room. Maybe 40 feet at most. I sat back in the chair once back in the room and Amy had me show her the passive range of motion from the last two surgeries. 500 reptitions of each. Then she said to begin working on the figure 4 starting Sunday. She reminded me it would take a few weeks to get the ankle to rest on the knee. I grimaced because I hate that exercise with a passion. Then the student asked me her questions for her paper and they left. I sat in the chair for awhile before my family came back to visit.
"Dictator" came in, wanting to know if I felt good enough to have the foley removed. I said definitely, so the health care tech removed it promptly. I was firmly reminded to drink, drink, drink. My b/p's were still only in the 80-90's and the urine was concentrated. About this time, my stomach started to really hurt and I told T I needed to use the toilet and now. I was helped to the bathroom and thus started the uncontrollable diarrhea. I peed such a tiny amount in the hat the HCT was disappointed. At this point, since I still wasn't eating and drinking apparantly wasn't cutting it, my IV solution was changed to help with electrolytes. They also thought it might help the dizziness. The IV should have been saline locked this day, but no dice. The new orders were to leave it in until I was eating well and my urine cleared up and I was peeing regularly.

I decided to take a walk down to the Childrens atrium later that day to meet Chel and Amanda, and Jenny and Bailey. Amanda was unable to make it that far but I did get to visit with Bailey. On the way back to my room, I had a near passing out episode. B/P was ok, but "dictator" was less than impressed. This was her last shift for the week...I think we were both relieved.

The night was spent quietly, getting up to use the toilet for my horrible diarrhea and visiting with my family. Pain control was good, other than the hot, searing incision pain. I think I popped a few internal sutures already (those that have had hip surgeries know what internal suture popping feels like) and I have the shifting, clunking feeling in this hip again like I did with the SDD. The left hip surgery was so different from this one!
I met my night nurse and loved her. She was on top of things. She figured she would stop giving me the colace and sennakot tablets since I was having diarrhea so bad. She also convinced me to try to drink more since my urine was still so concentrated and minimal. I told her I would do my best. Diarrhea count at this point: at least 6 times.

No comments: