I'm halfway through my recovery! And one great thing to report this week is NO VICODIN has been taken since last Thursday!!! I stopped taking the Tylenol ES too, because it really doesn't do anything for me on it's own, so why damage my liver needlessly? But, I have been bad and started taking my NSAIDs a little more, as in daily, but they do help to just take the edge off...and I still need to ice and heat a lot. My knee and foot still swell ridiculously with activity and standing. My foot also likes to turn dark purple when I'm up and about, but it's not cold or numb. I haven't really felt the tingly, prickly sensations too much more than last entry either, so I am not too worried.
I'm still not able to drive, although I feel like maybe I might be at that point where I could find a place with no traffic to practice. I'm still working on the driving motion with my right leg while I'm sitting in the chair at home. Hopefully that will help make my muscles remember what they're supposed to do. It's still a pretty big effort to get them to respond, but not as bad as a couple weeks ago.
I actually climbed into bed on my knees last night, not even thinking of it! Usually I sit on my butt and swing my legs over, using my hands to help my right leg in. It didn't hurt to do it either, which is good. But the "flash burning" pain I had in my incisional area right after surgery made a reappearance as well. I was lying on my left side and rolled onto my stomach and I must have pulled or contracted my muscles too hard and that burn pain came ripping through, twice with movements. I wonder what that is! Also, a couple nights ago was the first time since before surgery that my husband and I were intimate. It was an experiement to say the least! I think with the LPAO it also took about 5-6 weeks before I felt like doing it.
Since I'm 6 weeks post op, my bones and muscles should be healed well enough that I should be able to use my leg more actively now. 6 weeks generally seems to be the rule of thumb when dealing with broken bones and torn soft tissues. So I tried lifting my leg independently while sitting in my chair. Hardy har har, I can barely make it move. Baby steps. I know it'll get there. But now at least I don't have to consciously try to remember not to use the leg for anything and worry about damaging it!
(I have officially been pardoned from jury duty, thanks to Dr. Z's letter of explanation)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What a huge step in taking no more vicodin! Baby steps is right. And every accomplishment is HUGE! That would be awesome if they would hold the job for you. Much love hip sister.
I'm so happy to hear about your great process! I like it that you are just a week ahead of me because it's easy for me to gauge what I should be able to do. : )
hi marcie,
wow it sounds like you are doing really well! what a great example you set.
and your scars do look great.
fingers crossed for the job offer!!
Sarah xx
How is it going sweetie? I think I found you and friended you on facebook so that is me! Hope you are still doing well. I feel so much better when its hot out!
Lisa hipchicks :)
Post a Comment