Tuesday, July 19, 2011

7 weeks post op and driving

At this point in the recovery I truly don't have a lot to tell. Left hip is holding up pretty well, a bit achy at times, and I occasionally get that anterior "bulging" feeling again. I have only felt minor giving out in the left hip but it's tons better than it used to be. The knee hurts. A lot.
The right hip is still sore around the incisions but thankfully the screws really aren't as bothersome as they were on the left. I'm still not sure how I feel with this hip. I'm really achy. I mean it's a bone deep ache, and it's pretty constant. The right knee also just hurts. My whole lower body hurts!

But aside from complaining, I have been able to do a few things more since last week. I have been cheating on weight bearing a little bit. I'm putting about half or more of my weight down on my right leg when crutching. It isn't too bad. The muscles are sore from non use and I had some issues with pin prickles/tingly feelings in my foot for a bit but it goes away with more use.
I also went in the pool over the weekend for the first time and "walked" in the water! Weightless weightbearing is heavenly! I just wish it was my own pool. I am going to go to a new PT (per my PT's recommendation) at a new place that does pool therapy. I'm very excited for that!
I wasn't sure if I was ready for driving yet but I wanted to try, so with Todd in the jeep with me, I drove to his dad's house, which is about 10 miles away. My practicing in the recliner has helped a little with muscle memory and strength. It felt weird though, like I had to actually think and tell my brain to lift and move my leg to go between the gas and brake pedals. I did just fine but I had Todd drive home. That was enough for me. But now I know I can do it if I need to! And I didn't even need to use my left foot on the brake.
I haven't needed to use the shower bench too much anymore. I still use it for shaving, but thats about it. My strength is getting better.
Today I visited my PCP for a checkup and he gave me a script for Mobic, which is a stronger NSAID than motrin and it only has to be taken once a day vs 4 pills of motrin 3-4 times a day! I started it today and hope to see results soon.

I thought I'd update about my orthotic inserts too. They don't help my knee pain. They do keep my feet from rolling in when I walk but that's about it.

I see Dr. Z next Monday for my 8 week checkup so I'm sure I'll have great things to report! (no word yet on the job I interviewed for).

1 comment:

Sami said...

I'm sorry to hear about your knee pain. If it makes you feel any better I'm having lots of knee pain on the same leg as my PAO and I'm not even really weightbearing yet! I hope Dr. Z has lots of great things to tell you!