I saw Z on Monday for my 3 month check up (technically I'm 14 weeks post op) and things went relatively well. He had me walk down a hall and back so he could assess my gait, which he said was getting a lot better. Then came the leg strength tests. He was not too pleased with how weak my right hip is. I wasn't able to resist against his hand pushing on my leg at all. Even I was surprised at how little strength I have! So he really stressed to work on side leg lifts and hamstring strengthening exercises to build up my muscles. He said the muscles are still pretty atrophied looking. And here I thought I was building them up pretty well! The joint space is still narrowed but holding it's own, so we're still observing that. As far as pain, I'm no better than prior to the PAO. Z isn't going to worry too much yet because it's still quite early in healing and he recommends that most people won't feel even halfway better til at least 6 months have gone by. He offered up three opinions of why I might still be in pain. 1) weak muscles (it takes over a year to heal)
2) capsul impingement/scarring
3) recreated FAI from the PAO. I have only 85 degrees hip flexion now, which is worse than before the SDD even. He said that with the strange anatomy of my hips, getting the right hip to fit together was a challenge. He explained that the femur is anteverted and valgus (meaning points too straight up in the socket, or the angle of the neck is greatly increased) which causes it to bump against the acetabulum which was retroverted but now more lateralized and anteverted. He basically told me that's the trade off for being able to walk without pain. I hope so! But if my pain doesn't go away, I don't know what the next step is. I will be seeing him again in 6 months unless I have problems and need to be seen sooner. I am diligently working on my hip strengthening side leg lifts now. My verdict is pool therapy is nice and gentle but it doesn't do anything for strengthening! I won't go that route again if I have to. PT finished officially last week against Nicky's wishes. She didn't feel I was ready for discharge but I'm done. I can do this on my own now.
Screw removal to be decided at a later date. Dr.Z really wants to give my body a break from surgery/invasive procedures for awhile and that's why I will have 6 months til I see him again. So far the left hip is still doing well!
At this point in time I can drive about 2 hours straight, I can walk mostly limp free for half a mile to a mile, and I'm able to cycle for 20 minutes with moderate resistance. Verdict for left hip is PAO was amazing! Jury's still out on the right although I don't regret it one bit!
Z is an amazing surgeon and he gave my hips a fighting chance! I'll forever be grateful!
"I got great reZaltz!" :)
Keep up the hard work fellow hipsters! So happy to have had all your support and love over the last couple years! xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Marcie, I remember having to do hours of side leg raises, and straight leg raises, then when that got easier did it all over again but adding ankle weights, then heavier ones. I also added weights when hamstring curls got easier. I am sure you had already thought of that though. I loved the pool therapy to get the joint moving initially, but think the land based one got better results after the first few weeks. I can't wait to start all those leg raises again:) but I know they get great results.
Hope increasing the strength helps with the pain,and you get some good news about the longeivity (sp?) of the joint at your next appointment.
Post a Comment