Friday, October 14, 2011

And I am back!

I'm around 18 weeks post op and just finished what seems to have been the longest, most exhausting week of my life so far! I was cleared for work with no restrictions finally (!!!) and started on Monday. My new position is in ACS, or "same day surgery". I am responsible for admitting patients for surgery, and then recovering them when they come back, along with endoscopies and infusions. Lots of IV starting and LOTS of running up and down the halls and a lot of standing. I feel really overwhelmed with the new job, and undoubtedly I miss being back in the OR, but I like this job too. It's still surgery related and working with a lot of the same crew!

Left hip: doing really well. Stiff if sitting too long, still rely on it for placing most of my weight on this hip. Some snapping both medially and laterally. More "gross" and annoying but occasionally painful.

Right hip: again, not really sure what to think about this hip. Flexion still sucks. I can't put on socks or shoes "normally". I have to sit and put my ankle up on my knee to reach my foot. I can't flex past 90 degrees still and it really hurts if I try. I also am feeling the hip catch again. And my psoas snaps or catches painfully when I rotate my leg. I also have psoas snapping when I turn in bed. What I think might be the worst though is laying on my right side while sleeping. I wake up with hip pain in the anterior/medial region and have to turn off of my right side. This started about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Being at work is aggravating my hip and leg but I know that it's just the first week back and I'm sure that I will feel it for awhile.
For my home PT that I do now I use a theraband on both legs and do 30 reps of three different kinds of adduction and abduction exercises. I'm trying to strengthen the hip and core. Doing so should relieve a lot of my pain. That's the theory anyway! I'm thinking since my left hip is doing the best out of all my joints that it is a good example of success!

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Welcome back to work! I hope it does settle down soon and you find a comfortable flow. Good luck!