Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cool runnings!

I hope it's not too early to post this, but I've been running on the treadmill for the last two weeks...
Ok more like jogging and really only every other day. I am trying the couch to 5k treadmill training (just kind of making my own version) and so far I'm doing pretty decent!

Now, I haven't run this past my OS, but I think he'd be alright with it. I'm to the point where I'm so tired of waiting to feel better. I think I'm about as good as I'm going to get and I might as well just go for it while I can. To run one 5k is a bucket list item I really want to cross off my list of things to do. I want to run one race with my husband who has turned into somewhat of a marathoner. He's willing to do a 3 miler with me in order to help support and cheer me across the finish line.

This, among wanting to sky dive and zip line through the rain forest and write a book are just some of the things I aspire to do in my lifetime. I figure, why not now for the 5k? I'm not getting any younger or healthier just sitting and hoping my hips will last or be completely pain free...because they probably won't and they certainly aren't. Granted, I could do other exercise that is healthy but has much less impact on my joints, but riding a stationary bike doesn't get me across a finish line holding my husband's hand and feeling a sense of total accomplishment. I've been through hell and back the last few years, had some major life changing decisions made because of the surgeries, and I'm ready to do something fun, something not to be determined by the state of my joints.

Thus far, my left hip feels pretty good. Some painful snapping at times. That's it! Left knee is doing alright if I wear my brace. But my gait has changed and I have more and more frequent giving way, or buckling, of the knee (strangely enough, it's not very painful when it buckles).

The right hip is touch and go. I feel ok half the time and the other half I feel like the old pain is creeping back. I do think the steroid injection back in January had been helping up to this point. Now I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. The catching is starting again and the really deep pain is back when I flex my hip and then try to put weight on it. I ice and take way more anti inflammatories than I probably should, but whatever it takes.

I really probably shouldn't have started training now. I have my screw removal coming up in 10 days. Which means more than likely having to put the training on hold for a few weeks. It'll be like starting over by then. But that's what impatience does to a person!

One thing to note, that numb/bizarre feeling I was writing about in my right hip after the injection has remained. There is an area laterally across my thigh right over the scar to my hip scope incision that is getting more and more tingly/bizarre feeling. I don't understand why it's more noticable now but it is!

2 comments:

Scarlett said...

Running!?!?! I'm jealous! Although I do plan to start again someday, no matter what everybody else says! LOL Just be careful with the impact. And let me know how Z feels about it... if you decide to discuss it with him, that is... :) Oh, and Amanda had to take 7-10 days off from gym after her screw removal, so if you're running, you might want to check on the timing for you.

ASpalla said...

MaRCiE!

I am so excited to see this post and so proud of my hip sis! I hope I will be running by the end of this year and can completely understand wanting to enjoy life instead of waiting for our hips to cooperate because as we know they never will be perfect! I have skydiving on my list of things to do as well...too funny! I would love to do it together, it seems so amazing! I hope that your screw removal surgery brings some relief and answers because you deserve the best! Miss you girlie...we need to catch up soon!