Monday, October 15, 2012

Ultrasounds are hip!

Of all the imaging tests I've had done these last few years, the ultrasound is the easiest, least invasive, least expensive, and least radiation exposure....and the most diagnostic. For me at least! The radiologist Dr. Z wanted specifically is amazing. We deduced I do not have hernias, tears in my muscles, or pubic symphysis inflammation. But I do have an enlarged labrum ("huge!" as the radiologist put it), and a good bit of soft tissue being impinged in the front of the hip. My problem is too much bone now in the AIIS, or anterior inferior iliac spine. I *think* this is what Dr. Z was telling me anyway. Without a diagram or model to look at, it was hard for him to explain over the phone. Basically I'll need bone work. He's going to decompress the hip, or shave back some extra bone. He'll also take a look inside, and look at the bursa. He explained there would not be a risk for morbidity (making the hip worse), but the recovery will be more involved than what I'd been told before. Also he did say I have definate arthritic changes, so I won't have complete relief, but should have enough for now. I'm great with that. I am fully aware this hip is not as good as my left but it does have some room for improvement. I'll take anything at this point.

I'm coming up on my 2 year LPAO anniversary next month, and a week following that will be my 3 year RSDD anniversary. It really has just flown by. My left hip feels terrific compared to how it felt before! I do have popping and snapping that hurts but no more giving out. What's weird about the left leg though is that it is still the leg that fatigues much faster than my right, even with my right having a ton of work on it. All in all, worth every moment, good and bad.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I've had both of my hips decompressed and it helped tremendously with mobility. The recovery, for me at least, meant no pressure on my legs for 4-6 Weeks. But it was worth the time it took. Happy healing!

HipRN said...

Thanks Denise! You actually had a bigger, different kind of decompression surgery than I had. So kudos to you getting thru them! My decompression (bone resection/cutting away) went well and I have no restrictions. Just found more arthritis than expected. But I'm getting around really well, no problem :) Thanks for your note!!