Surgery went as planned on Friday, and I finally wasn't the last case of the day as I usually happen to be, but it was still a late case. I was admitted at 3 pm and went back to OR sometime between 5-6 pm. The admitting nurse told me I'd be getting a block for this surgery along with general anesthesia. A block is a nerve block in the hip region, so it's much different than a spinal. The anesthetist numbs the front of the hip before finding the nerve to numb after the nurse gives you versed and fentanyl to sedate you and keep the block from hurting. In all the experience was fine, and I remember everything which is cool. The block took effect in my knee and I thought maybe it would get to my hip in time for surgery but it didn't. I woke up in extreme pain, a lot like the SDD because the block did not work. I also couldn't pee again and was straight cathed twice (once in recovery and once in my room on the floor). This bought me a guaranteed overnight stay since urine that is obstructed leads to kidney damage. My recovery nurse was amazing though and I'll be sending in a letter of gratitude to her soon. All nurses should get recognition when they give good care, it's never mentioned enough!
Dr. Z explained to my family that he removed some impingement on the socket and removed a lot of scar tissue around the bursa and underneath the SDD incision, which he thinks will really help. But what my husband felt like he focused on most was the arthritis he found in the hip. He described it as being much more than what would be expected in a hip of someone my age, even with the dysplasia and FAI. He wasn't sure if this scope would help me but also said that some people can have a large amount of arthritis and hardly know it, while others have a small amount and have terrible pain. Basically at this point he told my husband he wasn't going to stop me from running or enjoying other activities that are hard on the hips unless it starts to hurt, then he'd advise to back off whatever hurts. Pain is to be my guide. I will be asking him at my 2 week follow up a bit more on this point. I also need to ask him about the degree of flexion in my hip that he obtained while I was under anesthesia. He saw me the day I was discharged and asked me to flex my hip and see if it hurt. I tried and it was so tight with swelling from the arthroscopy fluid that it was hard to do but I think it did feel less restricted. He had said he couldn't get it to go past 90 degrees when I was under but I don't know if he meant before or after the scope. Being that I only had about 80 degrees before it could be either way.
This scope is easier on my hip in the fact that I'm allowed full weight bearing as tolerated on crutches and have no restrictions to movement. I can use a stationary bike with no resistance right away. I need to use the CPM for 2 weeks, be on crutches for 4 weeks, and originally we had planned 6 weeks off work but after I see him on the 19th for my post op, we may decide I'm ready for work sooner!
It doesn't really hurt much to put weight down on my hip but moving it forward and to the side hurts a lot. I have 3 key holes to make a total of 7 now. I am surprised at the amount of pain it caused initially but now things are way better, at just two days out.
I'm still experiencing the stomach issue where I have no appetite and don't feel well after I do eat or drink anything. Best thing I've found that works is the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast). It's bland and easy on the tummy. I've managed a few bites of rice and toast.
I also took my dressings off today and even as a nurse, it disgusted me. It was very bloody, which Dr. Z had said it would be. I'm still pretty swollen from waist to knee. I have a sausage leg! But I got to shower and that made up for it. My husband and parents have been truly amazing again, and I'll never be able to make up for it, but I do love them so much!
I'm going to end this with a running photo. Although I didn't end up running in the fun run in Plymouth the weekend before my surgery (work conflict) I did happen to run a 5k distance (actually just a little further than 3.1 miles!) on the treadmill at home the Wednesday before surgery...and here's the proof!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment