Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013

What's a girl to write on the eve of the New Year when not much exciting has happened? I guess a blip on recovery will suffice and we'll see where that takes us.
I went back to work on Dec. 20th, just shy of 2 weeks ago. Because of the holidays, I've not worked a full week and that has really come in handy. Next week will begin the full work weeks and, sigh, I am ready, whether I like it or not. Sitting in my office chair doesn't feel great, but I get up and move/stretch a lot and have my heating pad on all the time. While at home I reclined any time I was sitting, which is hip friendly.
I still haven't made my PT appt yet, 1) because of my ear restrictions, which are now lifted and 2) because my PT saw me at work and told me that they are extremely busy right now but would squeeze me in. I will hold off til next week. I've been doing most of my own PT at home from the exercises I was given last time and that seems to be helping. My goal is to get back into running form. Little by little I've thought to myself, "screw it, I'm gonna run, even if it kills me". Ok, it won't kill me but it might "kill" my hip. I'm ok with that...I think. First though I have to feel it out and see if I can even tolerate running anymore, which will start with speed walking on an incline on the treadmill to a slow jog to a fast jog to running. I worry I won't tolerate it because I stopped taking my pain medicine altogether a month ago. It was a personal decision even though my doctor felt I should remain on it. As I've said in the past, only time will tell.
Among other "exciting" tidbits, I enrolled in school for the spring to finish my Bachelors in Nursing (way long over due) and will decide from there which direction I want to go with my Masters. I initially thought Nurse Practitioner, but am considering Research Clinician as well.

I have a 3 month follow up for my right hip on Jan 28th with Dr. Z. I imagine that appt will be the "turning point" in how often I see him. I think he will want a 6 month check, and then yearly from then on. If that's the case, that will really throw me off, but in a good way. I've been so used to going to Detroit every few months for the last 3.5 yrs that it's going to be a little hard honestly to not think about the next trip down there.

So my hip? It doesn't always hurt, at least not enough to count, but when it does, it hurts A LOT. How to describe it...the deep dull ache with some throbbing, like an ear ache. It started catching a lot again. It catches when I turn/pivot, when I vacuum, when I come to a hard stop and try to push off (this actually causes a sticking, almost locking sensation).
When I have my leg abducted and flexed, I feel a snapping/clicking in the medial groin/hip area when I move my leg from flexion to straight. I didn't notice this before the scope.
My left hip has a symptom that I noticed starting in late summer/early fall and seems to come and go. Everytime I notice it though, it's worse than the time before. I'm feeling a clicking internally and by palpation when I walk on the outside lower edge of my hip (sort of where the butt and thigh meet but closer to the back of the greater trochanter). This leads to an apprehesion feeling and a need to "pop" my hip, which I do on the lateral side. I believe this to be my IT band. I often need to "unstick" my knee as well, and can very forcibly pop the knee cap by twisting my femur away from my tibia. It feels better once popped. The ITB isn't tender to touch but my bursa is tender on the greater trochanter. My left side still just feels wobbly. No aching in the hip just occasional sharp catches, which also happens in the knee but the knee also aches.

2012 brought a close to my hip preservation surgeries. It was the year I found peace and meditation through running. It was the year I was told my right hip is done and full of arthritis, consequently putting an end to running, my form of stress release. 2012 brought about a change in my nursing career, one I didn't anticipate I would not enjoy as much as I'd hoped. But it also led me down another path to furthering my education and hopefully getting me back to where I thrive, in the surgical setting, transitioning patients from pre-op to post-op and during surgery.
I don't have a clue what 2013 will have in store. But I do know I'm surrounded by the most encouraging and loving family and friends to get me through. And if it means a THR sooner than later, well, Bring It!! I'm prepared, and I'm going to have fun doing what I want to do in the meantime.

2 comments:

Nitewriter said...

Good for you for going back to school! You'll always be glad you did. My hips are doing much the same as yours. I've been doing my best to avoid surgery for the past several years. I hope to avoid it again in 2013. I wish you the very best in 2013 and I'll be keeping up with your blog for updates. Happy New Year.

Scarlett said...

Happy New Year Marcie! I love that running has become such a joy to you. It is addictive... I hope that you can continue to enjoy it without too much discomfort in 2013. Nice goals and plans for the coming year too... Continuing your education is great!