My scars are hypertrophic and look a little bit like they have blood blisters under them but it's just the way they healed -- ugly. The incision that opened is still managing to stay closed but there is a really thick nasty scab on it and within the area of the scab is a big depression and around the entire incision is a lot of fluid. I'm still not sure if it's purely just pitting edema or if it's fluid that needs to be drained. Sometimes the area feels really hot, but it's never been red since the just after I finished my course of antibiotics.
My ankle ROM is improving in small increments. At least dorsiflexion anyway. Plantarflexion still seems to be too stiff and I'm also having trouble spreading my toes. Some of that I know is due to the edema, another part of me thinks nerves are slow to wake up. My great toe has almost zero motion to it and it is still painful. The jury is still out but I'm not so sure this was the right thing to do to my toe. It hurt before but at least it moved and wasn't swollen. Dr. B did say it would take a year to get results. I really don't get how a foot surgery can take so much more time and energy to heal than a freaking hip osteotomy but, I digress.
I am up to 100 pounds of weight on my foot. I can walk around the house without my crutches in small, small increments even though I am absolutely not supposed to. I only put weight on the lateral side of my foot though. Putting weight on the big toe hurts!! Plus trying to walk with full weight (even in the boot) causes a surprising amount of pain anteriorly in my ankle. I'm just going to ride this one out because Dr. B said as I increase my weight bearing, if something hurts, I'm to back off and go more slowly. Who knew I'd be on weight bearing restrictions and on crutches longer for this surgery than my hip surgeries. When I go back for my next follow up, it will be just shy of 4 months since surgery and being on restrictions. I wouldn't mind all this so much if it weren't for the troubling edema. It's better but still bad/ugly. Even with the Jobst stocking on it during the day, it is still pretty significant. And that worries me. Swelling up after activity or having my foot down would be one thing. Having +2-3 pitting edema 24/7 is not normal.
I still have that little nodule on my achilles but it doesn't really bother me too much. It gets a little irritated when I put too much pressure on it but settles down when I take pressure off of it.
Vacation is next week and I'm ready for something fun. I'm also ready to use my "golden ticket"! My husband and his brother will be running in the Disneyland half marathon and then the real fun begins :)

No comments:
Post a Comment