So May 28th finally arrived and I slept very poorly the night before surgery. Once my husband and I got to St. Mary's and I was registered we only waited 20 minutes before I was called back to get into my pre-op room. Todd couldn't be with me at that point, but I was pretty preoccupied with pre-surgery prep. Once I was changed into my gown, compression stockings, had my IV started, and answered my personal history questions, Todd was able to come back and sit with me. Fortunately, things were moving along pretty fast that morning and I was just about ready to go into the operating room. Dr. H met with me just before I went in and explained that he was ahead of schedule, so I would be moving along anytime. The nurses and anesthesiologists must have read from my history that I am an OR nurse and had a good time with me, teasing me about things that happen in the OR. It made for a relaxed atmosphere for me:) Finally it was time to go, the nurse told Todd to give me a kiss, they wrapped me in warm blankets, and off to the OR I went. I scooted onto the OR table, remember the anesthesiologist telling me the IV might burn a little and then the next thing I know I'm rolling out of the OR and into recovery. I had some really bad tremors and couldn't stop coughing but I wasn't in pain! About an hour later I was taken to my post op holding room and Todd and my mother in law were able to sit with me. I slept a lot as I had a reaction to something they had given me and I couldn't stop itching and had become nauseated. The meds they gave me knocked me out again. All in all the day started at 9:30, I hit the OR at 11:20, the recovery room at 1:00, and left the hospital at 7:00 pm. I was able to put most of my weight on my operated leg, uses crutches, and I felt pretty good. Dr. H told my husband that he didn't do much inside my hip as the tear was tiny but he feared doing more damage than good by doing much more than what he did. He's very hopeful this will do it, but did precaution Todd that there may still be a chance I may need further surgery on that hip, possibly a PAO as well. Nice...
My first week at home was not as bad as I thought it would be. The pain was mostly incisional, but I couldn't put weight on the hip without support (that hurt!) and I was not physically able to lift my leg by itself, which was weird. Crutching around was fun for about 4 days, then I got tired of it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get rid of them until day 7. I had a pretty significant limp and the leg felt like it wanted to give out if I didn't have the support of the crutches. After one week though, I felt strong enough to walk unaided and even considered going back to work earlier than 6 weeks.
At my 2 week follow-up, I met with Rob, the P.A. He was great! However, my hip isn't really feeling great, not bad, but not great. I felt like I couldn't really give him a solid answer to how it was really feeling. He said that was okay and that most people don't feel the full effects for anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks post scope. I was given the go ahead to walk as much as my heart desired but no running, jumping, or hopping. Darn. We discussed my going back to work early and I was given the green light. I was told to take it easy though and to call if any problems.
Week 3, still walking pretty good, occasional pain, nothing I couldn't live with. Called the OS and got his nurse to write me my work release for 3 weeks instead of 6! My coworkers were thrilled! Now the countdown to meeting Dr. Z...
End of week 3, going into week 4 was a bad turn around for me. My husband and I visited my parents one night and as I was getting back in his truck to leave for home, I felt my right hip SNAP, very painfully, and it was all I could do to keep from screaming. I was in so much pain I was nauseated. That was a first! The whole ride home I was fighting tears and really worried. My husband was pretty concerned, so he wanted me to immediately take a pain pill and lay down with my ice pack. By morning I felt fine, my hip didn't hurt except for the occasional pangs that I got with bending or twisting, which had been happening since week 2 and I figured were all a part of the healing process. But a few more times during this week my hip snapped and had really painful catching (although not as painful as that first time) and it really stopped me in my tracks. It was affecting my work again, not good. My coworkers have all mentioned that I have a "funny walk" and they can tell I am having pain everyday. My clinical support nurse even joking referred to me as "stiffy". Everyone is very helpful at work and makes sure I don't do anything to hurt myself further...I work with very, very wonderful people! Each day I am anxiously looking forward to the day I will meet Dr. Z....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Marcie, loving these posts. Since I don't see you a ton it's nice to know how things are going. Glad you are recovering well!
Don't know what made you itch, but I had a similar reaction to Duramorph (sp?) when I was in OR for Brady....so when I had Ainsley, they avoided giving it to me.
Sarah
Hey Sarah, yeah, not sure what it was either. I think probably dilaudid, I didn't have duramorph since it was a day surgery. I am finding out that I am sensitive/allergic to maaaannnnnyyyy things now since all this started! I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog:) It gives me something to do when I'm stressing about it!
Post a Comment