Monday, July 27, 2009

What was I so worried about?

So I had my first arthrogram and (3rd) MRI Friday. Surprisingly, the injection didn't hurt at all. The last hip injection I had on that hip (steroid and pain medication) hurt so badly, I was in tears the whole injection, so naturally I was afraid of this arthrogram experience. Turns out I didn't need to be. The radiologist was very skilled and even when he injected the first shot of lidocaine, it didn't hurt, just a quick burn and that was it. Once the dye started going in, I felt a weird fullness in the joint, but that was nothing to be concerned about. The radiologist and nurse were soooo nice and we talked and joked around the whole time. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the next arthrogram in two weeks! Especially if I can have the same crew! The only bad thing was that another radiologist came in and was talking to me and found out I came from quite a ways away and asked why I didn't schedule my other arthrogram for the next day to avoid driving down to D-town again (assuming I would have gotten a hotel room and stayed overnight) and I explained to him that the scheduler for the radiology dept told me that wasn't possible to schedule so close together. He told me they make exceptions for those driving long distances all the time and even told me that he would personally work me into his schedule for the next day if I wanted him too. I told him that it wouldn't be necessary since I don't see Dr. Z again til September, but crap, it would have been nice to have scheduled them together. I thought it was super nice of him to suggest that though and really put my respect of the Beaumont staff up a couple notches. Some of the nicest, smoothest professionals I've come across! Makes me feel pretty good about having surgery there. I really like the surgeon, and so far the hospital staff are really awesome! They let me watch on the xray screen while they were injecting and explained when the dye was entering the joint (pretty easy to tell on the screen when it did) and then that was that - off to MRI. Now, the MRI I was nervous about as well, b/c the last time I'd been in the MRI tube at my hospital I was barely able to finish the exam d/t I couldn't lay still with tailbone and lateral hip pain. I took some xanax and T3 together and the best part was, they have these goggles with a movie screen in them that you can watch any movie you want in it! That made the 45 minute MRI seem only like 15 minutes!!! That was a huuuugggge relief! I don't know if it was the combo of the drugs and movie or just the movie, but I'll take it! Now, going into the next MRI/arthrogram, I'm not at all as anxious. I just hope that if I have a different radiologist that he is as nice and skilled as the guy I had the first time! I'm curious to know if I'll get results from Dr. Z's office now, or if I'll have to wait until September when I follow up with him to decide which hip to work on first? Either way, time is going by quickly yet slowly. I guess by that I mean that once certain dates get here, it seems to have flown by, but waiting for those dates to actually get here seem to take awhile. Weird.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am glad it was easy for you! That's cool that you were able to watch a movie - I didn't have that! :)

Hang in there, the next one should be smooth sailing now, it seems!

Sarah @ The Pieces of MI Life said...

Marcie, I'm totally cheering for you here. Sounds like you are in wonderful hands!