Ahhhh, the hip pains just keep coming. It seems that lefty has been decidely cranky lately. It used to slip or sublux only occasionally but now it has become a daily occurance. It's painful and annoying. Sometimes it's only a quick sharp pain/giving out feeling and goes away as fast as it came on and other times it hangs around long after the subluxing feeling and I can't put any weight on the hip. Not really a productive way to be at work:)
If I grip the front/side of my hip while I have that feeling, it does make it feel a bit better, but I look silly walking around gripping my left hip. I should look into getting a hip brace...hmmm.
Anyway, the right hip is status quo...still acts up on certain movements and sometimes it gets sharp pains for no reason. I did have one scary moment a few nights ago though while making dinner in the kitchen. I pivoted to the left, so that the right hip turned in, and I felt this awful sharp pain/anterior clunk/giving out that I felt all the way to my knee. I had to stop in my tracks until the pain subsided, then kind of manipulate the hip joint until it felt like it was back in place. Usually I get clunking in the posterior region of my hip which doesn't hurt too bad, but this was wicked in the front part. My hip was pretty achy most of the night after that. I have been really stiff in the hips lately too, like for the past 2 weeks. Michigan weather, I guess?
So, surgery is just 2 months and 11 days away...but who's counting? :) I contemplated switching sites and doing the left hip first, since it's subluxing every day, but I think I'll just keep the surgeries as scheduled. I think there might be more damage in the right hip joint at this point, so I want to get it fixed first.
This was my rant for the week! In good news though, I get to go to Disney World in 3 weeks with my husband and some of my best friends! I should take my crutches so I can get to the front of the lines right away;) Guess I can't play the sympathy card just yet...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey Marcie,
I say play the sympathy card or at least look into the policy. The majority of people there will not have pain and are free to walk and stand for much longer than people with dysplasia. If this helps you to enjoy your vacation more than I say do it. You could always have it then not use it if you are doing well hip wise. I have struggled with whether to ask for a handicap spot for some time now and have about decided I will ask. I don't want to be disabled or take advantage for fear of someone who needs it more not having it or have someone accuse me of not really needing it. But I am doing damage to my joint with every step I take so if I save myself some steps I think that is for.
Best wishes,
Annie
Thanks Annie! I suppose at the very least I'll be using the tram at Disney quite a bit:) Are you scheduled for PAO or other hip surgery? Or have you had surgery already? Best wishes to you also!
Hi Marcie,
I hope you didn't mind that bit of opinion. No I don't have a plan figured out yet. I have had others share that they felt so much better when they at least had a plan. I saw the same doc in Atlanta that Jen saw but he does not recommend PAO for me. I am going to try going to an academic center in NC where they do just about every kind of hip surgery in the hopes that they can help me evaluate my options (a second look at PAO, hip resurfacing, wait it out a bit longer, or replacement). So hard to know what to do and who to trust. But at least there are places I can go on the web for info and support. I'll be keeping up with your progress in a few months!
Annie
Hi Annie!
I don't mind that bit of opinion at all! That's what these blogs are for! I would kind of be chicken s#*t to bring my crutches anywhere at this point b/c I'd be so afraid of someone pointing out that I don't have an "obvious" disability and then I'd have to explain the situation, and then what about a doctors note, etc, etc...lol!
It does make it easier to have a plan, for sure! In the beginning I was so extremely anxious and distraught to know what was going to happen to me that I ended up on anti-anxiety/sleeping pills just to help me cope...but now I'm pill free b/c I know what's in store! I really hope for your sake that you can get some answers in NC. Let me know if I can help you out at all. Jen is really awesome, isn't she?
Post a Comment