Wednesday, November 18, 2009

All in the family

Well, an interesting developement in my world of all things hip just unfolded. My sister-in-law has been having hip trouble for a long time (since she was a teenager) and has asked me what my symptoms are and what she can do about her hips. I suggested 2 surgeons for her and she jsut got back from an appt with one of them on Monday (the PA for the surgeon) and it turns out she may possibly have FAI? She really wasn't too clear on what the PA told her, but she didn't have anyone with her either. She was able to remember the term "pincer", which is too much acetabular coverage of the femur. So, she'll go for an MRA on Tuesday, and then she meets with the OS on Dec. 8th (my surgery day!!!). Needless to say, she's a bit nervous, but thankful to finally know there is something actually wrong with her hips and it's not just in her head. The PA has mentioned scoping her hip, but again she wasn't real clear on all the details. I suppose we'll know more once she sees the surgeon.

I am 19 days from surgery! I am getting impatient and am so ready! My hips haven't been hurting too bad lately, which is nice, but I also just got over a nasty bout of the norovirus which left me in a lot of gastorintestinal, kidney and muscle pain. It kind of took the heat off the hips for awhile. I'm just starting to feel better, so I hope that's it for me getting sick (at least before surgery). I've put a call in to my surgeon's nurse to ask about a handicap placard and how to go about getting it. Also need to make hotel reservations for the night before surgery. My best friend and her husband are going to come down and stay with Todd and me the night before and then keep Todd company while I'm in surgery. They're the best! I'll have to give them a "thank you" gift bag to open while I'm in surgery (courtesy of an idea off Jennifer's blog - thanks!).

I got a call from Beaumont hospital Friday night regarding registering my info, so I'm now officially registered! Just need to hear from the anesthesia dept (which should be next week) and then all I have left is my pre-op appt the day before surgery!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am terrible at catching up with you. I will give you a call this week or weekend! That's so crazy about your sister in law. I'm glad you're both getting the help you need!
MWAH!
Jen

HipRN said...

No worries! :) ~muah~!!!