10 weeks seems like a long time when you're analyzing days but it's really not that much time when you look at it in terms of recovery from surgery. I'm starting to get impatient with everything and it's probably because I have technically been recovering since November 30th when I had the LPAO. In a way it's really nice I had the amount of time off (8 months now) but it's also been a little challenging on the lifestyle I am used to.
So at this point in recovery I am no longer using the shower chair (actually wasn't using it since week 8, but kept it in the shower til now). I don't need a chair to sit in to dress now that I can put full weight on my hip. Driving is an independant activity with very little issue and I'm now walking around crutch free, even outside. I have brought a crutch with me if I know I'm going to be walking a lot, but otherwise am doing well enough without it!
As far as pain goes, I've been on Mobic (prescription NSAID) for 3 weeks now and it seems to take the edge off the aches I get in my lower body but it's not the miracle I was hoping for. It does work better than motrin at least. I'm still getting occasional sharp pains in the front of the hip, it gave out once recently, but right now it seems managable. The screws are not bothering me as much either. They will have to come out at some point, but I'm not in a rush like with the left side. The knees to my feet are progressively getting more and more painful. I'm told strengthening is key. I'm really trying and being faithful to my PT workouts.
Speaking of PT, I'm back in the pool. The incision looks good after a week of antibiotics. Pool therapy was nice. I do like it and am thankful for it. My PT measured my hip flexion ROM yesterday and it decreased by 23 degrees. So it went from about 100 degrees to about 77-80 degrees. That's not good and we'll be monitoring that as I progress. Part of the decrease was
pain related but part was also stiffness, as in I could not get it to go any farther no matter what. Hopefully this improves!
Yesterday Z called me to check up on how I was doing regarding the incision and the hips in general. We discussed them briefly and I also explained that I have a procedure coming up soon that will make MRI's no longer an option for me and would this be an issue regarding the right hip? He told me that an MRI would really not be sufficient for me anymore anyway and he would prefer to go in with a scope instead. So, there you have it. Looks like my MRI days are finally over! Thank goodness!
All in all, I think I'm doing relatively well considering the circumstances. It is do-able to have PAO's close together. Other than a little groin pain in the left hip, I'm not having many problems there. And the right hip is still in early stages so we'll just have to be patient and see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am so glad to hear you are walking without a crutch already! I do around the house and sometimes at work when I'm just walking around my room, but it always strains my lower back. My doctor also said that strengthening my leg muscles will help ease my knee pain. I hope your recovery stays on track!
Post a Comment