Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Post op week 9 - incision infection

"You're enjoying your day, everything's going your way, then along comes Debbie Downer!"
This, fellow blog readers, is me, and I apologize because I have yet more bad news to share...
This weekend I began noticing my anterior scope incision to be puffy and way more tender than usual. I also noticed it looked a little red around the incision. I pushed at it and pus and blood came out, followed by a mix of serous (clear, blood tinged) drainage. I called the OS on call for my surgeon's practice and was placed on Keflex 500 mg 4 times a day for a week. I'm also to stop pool PT until next week. Today the site looks much better. Not red, no swelling, and no drainage. The OS thought the drainage might have been a suture that didn't dissolve and acted as a wick.

I did land PT today. We took it easy because Nicky would prefer I stick with water therapy but what can I do? It all worked out well regardless. So I'm a little sore in both hips. I've woken up muscles in the left that must have deactivated and the right hip is struggling with the hip flexor, but doing surprisingly well with the glutes/stabilizers.

I'm starting to try to walk in the house without my crutch and it goes well enough as long as I take my time getting up from sitting awhile. The most I've walked is only a minute or so though. I suppose I should try walking for timed intervals from the front of the house to the back. Work up some stamina. Driving has finally gotten easier! It's back to feeling like an automatic gesture again, although I occasionally still feel like I have to think about moving the foot forward from the thigh. Other things I've noticed is a lot of clicking and popping is going on inside the right hip when I'm in bed and rolling over or changing positions. It isn't painful, just annoying.

What I'm really ready for is going back to work. Not really physically ready, but I need the interaction with people again! Not to mention the checking account could use it too!

No comments: