Thursday, September 25, 2014
Preparing For The Left Femoral and Tibial Osteotomies
I'm the girl who usually loves going to Detroit to see her orthopedic surgeon. The guy practically gave me my life back by correcting my hip sockets when he did. But this appointment I just had this past Monday I was less than enthused. I consulted with my OS about my left leg and hip, why it's still hurting and should we really consider doing the femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies. He agreed it's time and also wants to scope my hip since it sounds like there is a labral tear as well. He didn't seem too excited either and I don't know whether to attribute it to disappointment that the PAO wasn't enough or he just had a rough day. His long time assistant, whom I had become friendly with and used often to help me through the maze that is my OS's world, just up and quit a few weeks ago, leaving him in a lurch. He looked tired. I'm bummed because I have to deal with a brand new person who doesn't know me from Adam. Regardless, I'm waiting to hear back from her about a date for surgery, hopefully it's in December to avoid paying a huge deductible in January. Z mentioned a 25 degree internal correction for the tibia and 25 degree external correction for the femur, and 3-4 nights in the hospital. He also thought this would be my roughest surgery yet, even worse than the PAOs. I'm keeping a poitive outlook that it won't be any worse. I have to get some more questions answered from him but he thinks I could just call him a week or two before surgery to have my preop rather than drive down to Detroit to save me a trip. I need to ask him about time non-weightbearing, time off work, where the levels of the osteotomy will be for each part, and if he will consider a spinal or epidural for me since I do have CRPS now. He seemed concerned about whether my right leg was up to supporting my left side. I told him absolutely. What else am I gonna say? So while I am truly excited that this really should be it for me with corrective surgeries, I'm not happy to have to do it. I just want to be done already. I see hardware removal and a right THR in my future and that should be the extent of what I'll ever need. Anything else would be completely unforeseen. As for my right hip, the joint space is staying stable but the medial and most distal part of my socket is getting more spurs and cysts than the last xray. It's feeling like it too. I'm pretty stiff in the morning and when Z and his PA put my hip through the motions, flexing it hurt enough that I flinched and squeaked in surprise. It's ROM is about the same too, 80 degrees of flexion comfortably, and 90 if pushed. But that hurts. The left is still normal around 110-120 degrees, although flexion and external rotation does hurt now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment