Sunday, December 28, 2014

Straightened Out - Part 3

December 16-20th, 2014

Ok, so let's get to the meat of the story. What we all really want are pictures, right? I've got some. No xrays yet, those will be coming in a couple weeks after my first follow up on 1/5/15. But I did make sure to photo document my leg's before and after journey, and what a journey it has been. 
The left femur and tibia were both derotated more than 25 degrees each. (Side note: Normal femoral version is 14 degrees. Mine was 45-50 degrees internally rotated. Normal tibial torsion is 20 degrees. Mine was 45 degrees externally rotated - all before surgery). At this point in time I don't know if my fibula was also broken but prior to surgery Dr. Z didn't think he'd need to break it. But what a difference, eh? And with the loose body out of my hip, I'm hopeful that having correct alignment and a healthy hip joint will finally be the answer and end  I'm looking for to my left leg's story.
This is just another view of how the rotational difference in my leg looks now. My knee pain and hip catching were all because of my femoral and tibial torsion, which is also known as Miserable Malalignment.
Grumpy cat (gifted to me from my MIL and hubby) joined me after I came out of recovery as I have always enjoyed her...
And now comes with me everywhere I walker. 
My morning view from the 9th floor of Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital over looking the once again beginning to thrive city of Detroit. At night we could see The Joe, Greek Town, The Renaissance Center, among other beautiful things. It was a great view!
Big ol' bandage that was way more dramatic than the incision itself. I expected a huge 12 inch incision like my SDD incision on my right side from 5 years ago, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the incision is only half the length, and no where near as painful. It's hard to see the lower leg, but the tibia has a boot on it (the black material) and that incision is also small. The femoral inc is probably 5 inches and the tibial inc is probably 4-5 inches. I'd have to take a ruler to them to be sure but by my eye that's what I'm guessing. And I'm great at math...
Probably the coolest part of my stay, on Thursday (post op day 2), seeing my friend whom I've gotten to know and become very close with thru the unfortunate situation of hip dysplasia. She is a resident/MD (pain management and rehabilitation) in the Detroit area and has just had her 2nd PAO with Dr. Z recently and amazes me everyday with her strength and ability to forge ahead and persevere through it all. She and I have found so much in common with each other and have had a girls weekend last summer and already plan to make it a yearly thing. We're thinking of getting little tattoos to mark our journey together through all this. So for sure someday that picture will make it in here.
Our girls weekend last July, painting and shopping! Next time the artwork will be tattoos!

1 comment:

JMURPH said...

The tattoos idea is exciting! So glad you had a visitor :) Looking good