Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Straightened Out - Post Op Week 2

Two weeks have passed since surgery and I have noticed so much change already in my hip and femur! First off my whole leg is straight. Like, whoa. I mean, I noticed I had bendy bones always, but it never bothered me cosmetically. That's not why I had this surgery. Not even an inkling why. But I will say it is a beautiful thing looking in the mirror and seeing my legs looking like they do, not gonna lie. Vanity be damned, or whatever they say. But the thing I am trying to get at with what I'm really noticing with my hip and femur now, and really since the hospital, is that they do not hurt. At all. It is something so incredibly unfathomable to me that I can't wrap my brain around it. It doesn't seem possible. Now, please be reasonable and understand that I do have normal incisional pain and muscular pain, things of that nature, but even that is so mild I am just in utter shock. I must have been in so much pain before surgery that I did not realize it and this realignment has put my weary body at peace...? And yet I thought the LPAO from 4 years ago had done a pretty darn good job of that too. I just don't know.
But onto the not so good part of the surgery. My tibia is terribly painful and still hurts just as much as the day of surgery, sometimes more. Nothing relieves it except sometimes ice. I'm in the CAM walker boot to protect it, only taking it off to shower and at night while in the CPM. I remain toe touch weight bearing but admittedly I've put down a lot more weight a few times throughout the past few days than I should have. It's hard not to. Bruising and a hard pocket of swelling is starting to surface on the lateral and anterior side of the tibia. Part of me wonders if there is a hematoma. Maybe Dr. Z did break the fibula. I won't know til next Monday at my first follow up. But this pain is surprisingly horrific.
I saw my pain management physician yesterday to follow up after surgery to make sure my CRPS was under control after surgery and to follow up on meds and make med adjustments. He felt my CRPS was very well controlled and is not a concern for my left side, tibia especially, which is a huge relief for me. But we will still watch it and act on it aggressively to keep it at bay, and he did adjust my meds to further help keep me comfortable.
I'm still using my walker. Crutches should be soon. I can already sleep a little on my side for short periods. I can easily do figure 4s with my leg and lift it actively. But I am so easily exhausted and debilitated. The clunking/snapping/popping over the femoral plate is already happening with frightening regularity and it HURTS. But I've reached out to others and it's normal. I just have to get used to it. It will eventually calm down. That or it will stop when the plate is surgically removed. And you can be sure that will be one of the first questions I'll be asking about on Monday.
All in all I just honestly cannot believe how little pain my hip is in at this point! I need to see my xrays...I'm almost skeptical....

No comments: