Tuesday, January 19, 2010

6 weeks down, 6 to go

Today marks the 6 week point since surgery. I have been having more good days than bad now and I feel like my energy levels are just about as they were pre-surgery. I still get tired more easily than before surgery, but I do feel that I can do a lot more now. Even the muscular pain is getting better. I would say right now the scar itself is the most painful thing. My psoas muscle or tendon (groin region) is really irritated and my glutes and adductors (butt and thigh) are definately angry but I am really pleased with how things are progressing. My joint pain is pretty much non existent at this point, I think I still feel some capsule pain now and then, but not the searing pain of the labrum tear or the startling, painful snapping of the joint with certain movements. I still have some disgusting swelling around the outside of the hip. It's nearly twice the size of the other hip at night and I still occasionally get that full, stiff feeling around the area of the trochanter osteotomy. I'm sure it's all due to activity, as I'm increasingly getting more active as the days go by. The exercise bike is helping my muscle strength. I've been able to stand on my operative leg for 5 seconds before it starts to wobble and weaken. Sometimes it hurts to do that and other times it actually feels normal! Just 3 or 4 days ago I couldn't stand on it alone, only with crutches and even then it felt like more of my weight was going through my arms then my leg. So that's a big improvement! I'm hoping by next week when I go back to see Dr. Z that I'll be able to stand on my right leg for maybe 15-30 seconds before it gives out. I'm also hoping for some formal PT. I'm getting restless with the 3 things I can do at home...

I have officially decided I am going to do the LPAO in November or December now. I went to work to talk to my managers about all my possibilities with work and the next surgery and although they have no problem with me being gone for 6-ish months, it's the HR department that would not look favorably on me being absent from work that long. I decided it's not worth it to gamble my position and will return to work in March with my surgeon's approval. I'm really okay with this. I think I need the time to let my right leg heal properly and get strong for the other surgery as it will really take on quite a bit more work and weight than my left leg did. Plus, it'll give me a chance to just take a breather from all this surgery/recovery process. And I am in no way ready to experience the kind of pain I did when waking up from surgery any time soon. Even though I hope to get a spinal next time, it still scares the hell out of me, especially knowing the PAO is quite a bit worse.
But, I'm ready to get it over with and move on!

On Sunday, my dad and I went to a hockey game and sat on the glass which rocked! The thing that did not rock was all the stairs. They're narrow and there are so many! Especially on crutches. What a workout. My left hip finally had it going up the stairs though and gave out painfully on me at the top. The next morning when I woke up was even worse. I could not put any weight at all on my left hip. It was unbelievably painful and unstable! I don't know how I made it from the bedroom to my recliner, but I somehow did. It was some weird shuffle, scooch, lurching thing with my crutches! My husband tried not to laugh because he knew I was hurting but it did look pretty ridiculous. It settled down after a while, but it's still pretty sore. Luckily, I will see Dr. Z next week and be able to discuss some options with him about an injection into the joint to tide me over til surgery. I'm weary about it, but if it would help, then I'd be willing to do it.

As of right now, I'm concentrating on my trip to Mexico, getting tanned and toned (as much as my work outs will allow) and working on only needing one crutch (hopefully none by the time I go!!!). Then it's on to getting strong for work and planning the next trip; Vienna, Austria!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me you are doing wonderful, I mean for having surgery on your hip. I am still in the process of meeting with one more surgeon. I hope I will feel comfortable with him so then I can schedule surgery and get it done with. The waiting is hard. I can also relate to working and HR being a grump about it. For the past year I have stayed at home with our kids and just recently we have decided that I should return to work (this was decided before finding out that I had CHD) at least PRN or PT. Well I haven't worked much and the last job I was at I only worked 6 wks. because then we got pregnant unexpectedly and I get morning sickness for the first 5 months really bad. My husband and me decided that it would be best to not work so I let my manager know and she was completely understanding but HR not so much. Because applying for the jobs now they let me know what a horrible work history I have and that they don't want someone like me to work for them. I felt so hurt, even though I understand that it was fault. So I understand how HR can be. Good luck with everything.

Krystal said...

I agree with your friend Courtney.... surgery/recovery amnesia might be a good thing...... It's kinda that way when I get alot of my tattoo's done at once..... i got my back done and then waited for awhile to do my arm... that way I forget what the pain is like and i'm ready for some more :) Love ya!!
xoxo

HipRN said...

Thank you! I'm sorry you had that kind of experience with HR. The fact that you got pregnant right after you started working shouldn't make you a bad person because you decided it would be better to stay at home. Hopefully the pregnancy is going/went well and your hips didn't protest too much! Good luck also with meeting your surgeon :)

HipRN said...

Krystal, I wish I had the guts to do even just one tattoo! I'm amazed at how beautiful some tattoos look (like your back and sleeve)! I always thought about one on the back of my neck just below the hairline (like a little star or a japanese symbol) or the back of my wrist. I couldn't do my wrist because of work, but maybe someday the neck:)
Love ya back!!!