Sunday, January 31, 2010

2 months post op





These are my xrays from my surgeons office that I was finally able to obtain. The first and second ones are my post op xrays laying down. The third is my pre-op xray. Notice the bone healing in the second post op xray! Pretty cool, huh?

I am almost 2 months post op now (on Tuesday officially). I started PT last Wednesday and will return for 2 more sessions before I go on vacation. I love that I have some more exercises to do now! My PT checked my right quad for strength and we basically both saw that it was very, very weak. I could barely do a straight leg lift. So she modified my strengthening program for the right leg until I see her again on Monday. So far she has me doing 8 exercises, mostly for quad build-up, which I do 10 reps, 3 times a day. I also have some adduction/abduction exercises too and the one where you lay on your side with your knees bent and open up your legs like a clam really gets me!!! It's hard to make my leg do it, sometimes it just doesn't want to fire right away and other times I can do it fine, but it's really sore. I know this is an important one though to help get rid of my limp and I'll be able to walk correctly, so I'm increasing my reps by 1 each time I do a set. I'm really determined to walk without my crutches and my limp within the next 2 weeks! Let's hope I can meet my goal! I can tell I'm getting just a little stronger each day too, so I know the exercises are working. I'm almost to the point where I can get rid of the shower bench and my dressing chair in the closet. I have not used them in the last 3-4 days at all. So, if a week goes by that I don't use them, they're out! It's kind of strange though, as sometimes my leg/hip feels fine and stable and I don't need any assistance with dressing and showering or standing alone on the right leg, but other times it's like I'm back at week 4 where it's just barely strong enough to transfer or pivot on. All in time I guess.
All I care about is that I get it strong enough to not limp and to be able to walk long distances without getting tired or hurting! I've got a couple vacations coming up that I'd definately like to enjoy without thinking about righty:) Lefty is a whole other matter, but I know eventually she'll be taken care of, so I'm going to go with the flow on her!

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are doing so awesome! Can't wait to be up and moving : )