Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holy cow, it's already been a month!

Today is a big day! It's my hubby's birthday and it's been one month since my surgery. I am doing well, besides still being so TIRED. The home exercises I was given continue to get easier and easier and I am still very mentally motivated to be able to have my LPAO in March, but realistically I know it may not happen, as physically I'm not sure I'll be ready. My left hip is starting to become more and more achy and I've noticed that my bursitis on my left hip is becoming a lot more painful. It still hasn't given out on me lately which I am so thankful for, but I have had a few wicked spasms in the left hip/thigh when I've tried to stand up. I've already got myself ready to accept that possibility of delaying my LPAO during my next follow up with Dr. Z.
As for my swelling and my incision, things are still looking ok. The incision is not longer painful at that one spot I mentioned before (I think the triple antibiotic ointment really helped). The swelling is still there, but it hasn't gotten worse, in fact it looks like it may have gotten a little less. Not sure, but the hubby doesn't really think so. I know it goes from feeling like a fluid pocket to firm from time to time, so I really don't know what to make of that. Even though I am a nurse, I am still unsure of my own prognosis/recovery...I think I freak out a little more than I probably should:)
I have "met" a few more hipchicks in the last couple weeks that I am so thankful for getting to know. Hip women yahoo support group and facebook have led me to some wonderful new friendships and I am so glad to be able to use their support and give back support as well. So a shout out to my new hipsters; we are strong, beautiful women!!!!

I have noticed lately that my right quad is really atrophied...uggg. It's gross and I had no idea it would waste away that much for this surgery! I had expected that for the PAO but not really for the SDD. I figured since I was using my leg in the 1000 leg rep exercises that the muscle would still be getting used, but I was wrong. I really hope that PT will be able to sort that out right away!!!! I also hope that I can start PT fairly soon. But I won't be given that go ahead for another month. Arrrrgh. For what was supposed to be a fairly "simple" surgery and recovery it sure does seem to be moving awfully slowly. I am almost getting the feeling that Dr. Z is slowing down my recovery to slow me down from jumping into the LPAO too soon. Not just him telling me "no" but also making it nearly impossible to be able to do it in March due to the physical aspect of it. But who knows? Maybe SDD's are supposed to recover this long? It's hard to say since I don't know of anyone else who really went through one of these surgeries. I just know that for the LPAO I'll be a lot more patient with my recovery (I think) since I've been able to follow up with all the hippies on the support forum about their recovery and what it requires.

I am overall very happy with the outcome of my surgery. That sharp, pulsing pain that was constantly in my groin is gone. The horrible catching pain I had doesn't lock my hip up anymore (hopefully that remains the case forever!) and all I really have left is just a generalized achiness in the hip, but that could just be from the surgery itself. I'm sure I won't really know until all the inflammation and swelling goes away, and I know it could take up to a year before I fully realize how the hip is going to feel for good. For anyone considering this, it's definately worth it. Hopefully the scope option would work vs having the full open surgery like I had, but that was my only option once the imaging scans came back. It worked, so I'm happy! I would liked to have gotten the scope instead of open surgery (scar and more recovery/pain). I completely trust my surgeon though, and am pleased that he is happy overall as well!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You're so tough! Don't worry, the quad comes back faster than you would think. And everything looks funny now anyway, since the swelling takes forever to go down. I felt like I my body went all fun-house mirror on me! LOL...
Remember - NO surgery is simple. It takes it's toll on your body regardless of procedure. And nurses make the WORST patients, hahaha!
Jen