Monday, December 21, 2009

2 week update

I'm a day early on this post, but it's almost midnight so it counts...almost:)I don't have a whole lot to report but let's see where I'm at right now.

My exercises are becoming easier and easier. I find that I can do a set of 100 each in five block sessions throughout the day and I pretty much breeze right through them now. Still working on getting the ankle to the opposite knee but Amy (PT) said it would come slowly. My butt is incredibly sore/bruised feeling on the outter edge, not the part I sit on. The incision is also incredibly painful/tender at times now, when before it really wasn't too bad. There is an area of swelling that is firm but moveable so it's probably nothing to worry about. The incision itself looks great. Another steri strip fell off and I'm anxiously awaiting the rest to come off too. I am getting dressed, including TED's, much quicker than last week and crutching/walking is pretty good too. I'm still dealing with a lot of clunking/clicking in the hip and knee and the knee is the worst. It feels like the knee cap will blow off everytime they clunk. I hate it! The hip does it off and on but doesn't always hurt, just feels unnatural. When it does hurt it just feels like a pinging, like something is catching. It's so hard to explain. I'm figuring it's scar tissue or swollen muscles reacting when I move.

I went to a Christmas party tonight at a co-workers house and it was soooo great to see everyone! I miss them very much. I did really well crutching out in the snow/ice and didn't slip outside. It was inside when I slipped, go figure! But I didn't hurt myself:) Let's see, I also tried "walking" without crutches for about 3 steps (I had the crutches, just didn't put any weight through them) and it wasn't too bad! Most of my weight still went through my left hip but my right wasn't really all that painful when I did step on it. Don't tell my surgeon!!!!!

I also think I am putting more than 45% weight on my hip now, which is what I was at earlier this week. I'll have to check it out again. I go to see Dr. Z on December 28th for my "2" week check up (more like 3 week now) and hopefully will be able to obtain my xrays and operative report too. I'm hoping to hear that I can drive soon and that I'm right where I should be in recovery. It's so confusing because I'm at that stage where I feel good enough to over do it, the "just because you feel like you can, doesn't mean you should" stage! lol! I'm also hoping that he'll be impressed enough with where I am in recovery that he'll feel confident enough to go ahead with the LPAO as scheduled in March. Still a couple months away, yes, but it's my goal.

I have a good friend I've met through the support group that is a fellow Zaltz patient and it's so good to talk to her because she is a sounding board for me. She's been through a few hip surgeries with him and she's right there cheering me on knowing what's in store. She's still having issues with one hip and will probably be facing another surgery in the summer. It's nice to have a good support group. I heart my hippies! :)

1 comment:

Lori Hagewood said...

Hey, Marcie! Way to go - and I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! Ibuprofen (and in large doses, regularly) will definitely be your friend. It's gotten me through lots of those pangs and twinges I've had when my quads and knee acts up! Hope you enjoy the holidays, and continue to heal wonderfully!

Best,
Lori
RPAO/FO
7/23/09