Monday, December 7, 2009

Quick run-down

Ok, so I'm supposed to arrive at the hospital at 12:30 to get admitted, no clue when surgery actually takes place; I'm guessing around 1-2 hrs after I'm admitted going by how our OR works.

Dr. Zaltz gave me the "nitty gritty" on my surgery and it's the femoral head that is being shaved down/reshaped, not the acetabulum. Plus, he said that microfracture is probably not necessary! That's great news in my book! Sounds like 5-6 weeks on crutches and 3 month recovery. He did say that he would try to repair the labrum, as I do have a small tear in the undersurface of the labrum.
He said he does the whole surgery himself, not his residents/fellows. I'm happy for that. I was told there may not be total relief of pain since the labrum/cartilage does have some damage, but he'll do his best. I was happy with the appt overall.

So, it's a 2 part process:
He does his part doing the surgery, getting the joint to fit together correctly and me doing my part, physical therapy and getting my leg to move.

See ya'll on the other side!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I type this as I text you...hahaha...you sound like you're in great hands and have a good plan of action. You're going to do great!!! Let me know if you need anything at all and call at anytime. I am so glad the wait is over for you - it truly is the hardest part!
Big Hugs!!
Jen