Today was a good day, considering the pain I was in the previous night. I met the daughter of my roommate and she was super nice, but felt really bad that I was in the same room as her mother. We developed a pretty good relationship and had fun talking back and forth. I found out the reason I was on the 9th floor and not the peds floor was because the peds floor was full and Dr. Z had done several ops that day and 3 of us (all surgical dislocations) were put onto the overflow floor. The PT specially for Dr. Z met with me this morning and explained that normally I'd be on the peds floor and the nurses on the 9th were very inexperienced with Dr. Z patients so she was the first to actually do anything active with me. She got me up on crutches and had me walk out in the hall and then sit in a chair for a while and taught me my 2 exercises that I have to do 500 of each, every day, non negotiable!!! Whew, they're a tough crew:) She also had me increase my CPM settings to 90 degrees which feels pretty good. I still haven't eaten much, nausea is still hanging around, mildly. Reglan has been a good friend. The dilaudid is on a basal (continuous) rate in my PCA along with my pushes of the button, so it's going to do a number on my bowels:( Double boo for that.
I'm also on my period (started yesterday, just before surgery). Go figure.
Amy, my PT, promised me that things would get easier and better if I move, move, move. Every 2 hours she said I should be doing something to move the hip, whether it be the exercises or the CPM machine or walking in the hallway. I know she's right, I feel good when I move but it's hard to get the motivation to do so. Everything exhausts me, even the thought of eating. I haven't had much in the way of food. I've mostly offered everything to my husband. It helped cut down on money spent for the food he'd need while staying with me! Most of the day was spent sleeping or "exercising". I still was having fitful sleep d/t the roommate, but late afternoon came and the nursing staff came in to move her to another room and told me I probably wouldn't be getting another roommate for the rest of my stay. Later I found out that Todd had suggested I had gotten no sleep and maybe a room change would be a good idea (what a nice hubby!!). I spent the rest of the evening in the CPM and dozing on and off in my quiet room by myself :)
The pain is really well controlled now and I have only been pushing the button every 45 minutes or so. The nurses seem quite surprised by how much I can do and how well things are working. Oh, foley came out today and I'm peeing on my own, woo-hoo! The drain is going to stay in until tomorrow morning along with a dressing change. I'm wondering how long my scar is? I'll find out tomorrow! I also got a really nice basket/bouquet of cookies from my hipster friend, Jen, which was so cool! Got some flowers from other visitors as well and I feel bad that I can't take pics and post them, but they are all appreciated:) Can't wait for a full night's sleep.
By the way, as a side note, remember me saying that in a previous post my sister in law had gone to a hip doctor and found out she had hip issues too? Well she met with the actual surgeon after her MRI/arthrogram and he told her she has dysplasia as well and would need to be referred to Dr. Zaltz!!!! She said that he mentioned a PAO was in her future most likely, how crazy is that!!! So now she's been asking me about my experience, and I totally understand being as obsessed as I was beforehand:) I feel bad for her though, b/c she has a 19 month old son at home. It'll be a tough road for them, but probably better in the long run. Hoping the best for her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment