Saturday, December 12, 2009

Post-op day 4

Well, I've been home since Thursday and I've slept a lot and whenever I'm awake I try to do my exercises or keep up with facebook:)
My appetite is still really low. I haven't had a bowel movement yet and I'm dreading when I finally do. I'm on colace and drinking lots of water and trying to eat fiber one bars to help me go, but so far I've gone 6 days and only passed a little gas. I don't even feel the urge to go, great.
On another note: I have minimal pain, have already been able to decrease my vicodin from 4 hrs to 6 hrs. I'm hoping that I'll be able to switch to tylenol or motrin soon. I use my CPM machine all night at 90 degrees and can't wait til it's gone! More for the money aspect than anything. It's $25 a day and I should have it for 2 weeks. Being that I'm only getting paid 60% of my wages (not including call time) it's a bit of a wallet cruncher. I'm also wearing my sexy TED hose (thigh highs, no less) but at least they're warm. My ankle and foot on my op leg are pretty swollen yet, so can't get rid of the TEDs til the swelling is gone.
My scar is "lovely". 10 inches long on the side of my hip along with my old scope scars and a new drain scar. Plus I have 2 really bad skin tears from the surgical tape. Ouch! They almost burn worse than the incision. The scar is a plastic surgery closure though, so it will heal beautifully. Hopefully some bio-oil will do wonders on it when I can use it. The thought of rubbing it though makes me shudder. I remember how bad rubbing the key hole scars was and they're only 1/2 inch long!
I can already dress myself (except putting on the right TED hose, Todd still has to do that for me) and I am able to shower alone too. The shower bench is my friend :)
The exercises I have to do consume most of my awake time and I'm motivated to getting them completed b/c my PT told me that Dr. Z expects me to be able to raise my knee to my chest and start lifting my ankle to my opposite knee by my 2 week follow up!!! I want to please him and prove to him that I can do it and get ready for my LPAO in March. It's easier than I thought it was going to be, although no walk in the park.
I have developed a much more noticable click in my joint with every movement now and it's discomforting but not painful. I think someone said it's a tendon and hopefully when the irritation goes down the clicking will stop.
I'd say the worst part about the whole thing was waking in recovery, still trying to figure that one out. But I may change my mind when poop day comes, we'll see! ;)

No comments: