Tuesday, December 29, 2009

3 weeks post op and my post op follow up appt


Well, at 3 weeks I am feeling....tired, lol! The holidays really took a toll on me and I am definately feeling it. My hip is really sore today but I think that has to do with the 7 hours in the car yesterday for my trip to Detroit for my post op check up. More on that in a minute.
I am doing my 1000 leg reps in good time. I've figured out a good routine where I do 5 sets of 200 reps at a time. I'm really focusing on the ankle to opposite knee exercise now. My incision has fully revealed itself and it will look really good once it completely flattens out. Check out the 3 week scar pic! I'm also getting really bored at home, so to liven things up I do the laundry!!! Lol, a good way to keep the mind sharp:) But I still have to be careful not to push it too much. Today I chilled in my recliner and read a book and napped for a couple hours. Ahhh, it felt good:) I'm able to sleep on my non-op side with a pillow between my knees and on my stomach, but only for short periods of time and it wakes me up if I feel I need to change position, which is a lot so I'm not getting a very good night's sleep yet. It makes for one very tired girl during the day! The leg was aching something HORRIBLE when I first starting sleeping on my non-op side but it's settled down some. Now I'm just dealing with the clicking in the hip with position changes. Speaking of clicking, it's settled down some in the hip and knee when crutching but still bothersome. I've also stopped taking vicodin altogether and will just rely on Tylenol if/when needed.

As for my surgical post-op appt, it went pretty well. I had some post op xrays taken first and then saw Dr. Z. He said he was pretty happy with the way everything went and asked how I felt about it. I told him the pulsing, sharp pain in my groin was pretty much gone and he said that he felt that this surgery should do it for me on the right hip. He thinks I'm good to go. He had me lay back on the exam table and do flexion and external rotation with my hip and let me tell you, it was sore but I was able to get it past 90 degrees!!! I don't know if he was all that impressed, but I sure was! Once that was done, I sat up and we discussed what he expects of me til the next follow up appt which includes keeping on both crutches until I see him again (didn't really expect that), keeping up with the 1000 leg reps, no formal PT yet, I can ditch the TED hose (yay!) and I can start using Mederma cream on my scar now. I was also given the go ahead to drive if I'm off narcotics (which I am) but I don't really feel all that comfortable driving yet because the weather in Michigan is pretty crappy right now.
I asked if going on vacation in early February was going to screw up physical therapy and he said I could just do my home exercises. Then the bummer of the appt was when I brought up the LPAO in March. He laughed and asked if I had scheduled that and I told him March 19th. He hesitated, looked down at his watch for a long pause and then looked at me holding up his hands and said "we're really pushing it close. I might cancel it". I told him it was my goal and he said we could talk about it at the next appt. I think he feels I am crazy, literally. He seemed sincere but matter of fact when he told me that, but we'll see. I know he's just thinking of my best interests and covering his own hide, but it's hard to swallow that when I've got myself mentally prepared for surgery in March and just getting it over with! So, next appt I guess I'll find out if I'm able to continue with the LPAO in March as planned or if I'll have to reschedule it for December 2010.

Tonight Todd and I went grocery shopping and I was so tired that I ended up using an amigo! How humbling! It was really embarrassing with all the people staring at me and wondering what the heck someone my age/healthy was doing using an amigo. That's what's difficult with the hip surgery, there is no visible disability, no cast to point out that I've had surgery and can't walk easily through the store. It was a little fun to drive around in it, no doubt, but not something I'll miss!

No comments: